Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i.e. must die

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

Angry i.e. must die

I.E. must die..... Everytime I log on to the internet:it allows me on for 1 or so minutes then it cuts me off(aka disconnects me). But peoplepc shows me still on( a clich in their program because before it would do it, I would have to ctrl alt del it ). Why does this happen?(the disconnecting part) And how to fix it? On my phone it has a light and if someone hangs up it blinks red. And everytime when the internet disconnects me it does this and never before when I would disconnect myself would the light blink! This is what I have done to try to solve it::::

1. virus scanned it
    2. tried to reinstall it but of course it cut me off
    3. Scanned it with ad-aware
    4. threatened my computer with silicon hell

I figure it might be a trojan/viruse/worm? or someother program conflicting with it or and internal problem, something within the cpu tower? Any ideas?! Right now I'm on my schools computer.

Have you tried another browser? Get someone to download mozilla or firefox or opera and try that out.

Maybe the phone is causing the problem? Disconnecting your internet connection, not IE?

Try unplugging your phone and see if that was the problem?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I know it is my internet connection not i.e. but I''ve had many problems with i.e. that caused simular problems. A different browser might be a good idea but I should not have to get a new one just because of this. I'll try the phone. Do you think someone is tapping me? Or phreaking off of me. Mybe just paranoid! well I'll try this when I get home thanx

Try testing the service with hyper-terminal, like this: http://www.ilstu.edu/helpdesk/techsu...terminal.shtml

Also, it would be a good idea to try another browser to help rule out, or confirm, that IE is the problem. Perhaps Netscape is already installed or can be installed from your Windows CD.

If all else fails, you can always try tech-support at your ISP. Chances are they deal with this type of problem all the time.

Sounds like a Layer1 problem....
    Just joking, but give us more details.
    Dial up or broadband connection?
    Are you using filters?
    How many other devices are hooked up to your phoneline?
    Is a PBX involved?
    Are your internet options correctly configured?
    Is IE your default browser?
    Do you have the relevant drivers installed, if needed?
    Modem type?
    Faulty modem?
    Platform & OS?
    Hardware?
    Bad phone wiring?
    US or Europe?

The more info you can supply, the better chance of helping you.
    You need to be able to eliminate the variables one at a time, until you can pinpoint
    the problem. Maybe you could get a friend with a lap-top and known working config to hook up to your line. Many lap-tops come with built-in dial up modems. But still, we just don't have sufficient info...

g8way2u

lowdown::

dail-up
    no filters
    i.e default
    HP-win98
    US of f-ing A
    One phone is hooked up at least in my room- one phone line for whole house!

The problem is that I had this set up for about a little over a year now. And all of the sudden this starts!

Did you recently install any updates or software?

I would remove and reload the drivers for my modem.

Uninstall and reinstall your ISPs config setup.

Probably going to be corrupt drivers because its sending signals that your phone is picking up that it didn't use to. Just a guess though.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well now, I would start trouble shooting it from a much simpler angle. Change your physical phone line, and check your connections. Check with the others in the house to find out if anyone has put some kind of answering machine or other electronic devices on the line.
    You can also pick up an extension and physicaly listnen to the line as the computer comes on, and that will let you know if the line itself is dropping.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

One note about changing browsers...

He is using PeoplePC online. A discount provider... Many discount providers (NetZero, Juno, whatever) are uniquely tied to IE. Although any browser can be used once connected, IE is still what comes up when the connection is initiated.

This of course only apllies to ISP that provide their own unique PPP dialers.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Developer Extraordinar
    Check your phone line to make sure it's not bad quality. You can't have a good quality connection if you have a bad quality phone line, for dial-up or DSL. Did you check all your Dial-Up Network connections settings? Maybe there's a bad setting in there? Did you update recently? Or, for that matter, not update for a while? Did you call your ISP support line to make sure it wasn't something on their end? Does it only when you use Internet Explorer, or even if it's not running?

Peace

MB