March 29th, 2004 11:43 PM
my freind's computer keeps on shuting down by itself
what could it be and how can i fix it
March 29th, 2004 11:50 PM
Sounds like something related to MSBlast or a Variant using MS03-026 Exploit. I'd say make sure the PC is fully updated and run a virus scan. Without more details that's the best you can be told. If you want to tell us exactly what is happening, and give us more details on his computer we may be able to better help you.
IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
(Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".
March 29th, 2004 11:51 PM
A common cause of shutdown is overheating. Make sure his box fans and cpu fan are functioning properly. And have him go into setup and he can usually find a menu item that will give him his cpu temp etc. Make sure these are in harmony with the manufactures recommended temps. Don't forget to blow out all the dust if there is any.
If his temps are ok, then do a search at microsoft for his symptoms and www.google.com can help as well.
March 30th, 2004 12:30 AM
You have two very good answers there, but we do need a bit more info.
1. Does it shut down, restart or just crash?
2. Does this happen after about a minute (virus) a longer, but consistent time (heat) or is this something that happens at random/irregular times (possibly software problems, EMP, power supply, etc...........)
3. What is the operating system?
4. Has he applied all the updates?
5. Is he running a firewall?
6. What is the machine doing when this happens?
If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?
March 30th, 2004 03:12 PM
I had the same problem and it turned out to be my mother board.