Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The horrible truth about AO !

Those who don't care about AP don't care about the community.
    those who do would reeboot and repent.

Strip all ap and let the voice of the community sort it out.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If he would just reply and talk to me about it, perhaps we can work something out. He has my email. I'm open and do want him back. But can't do much if I feel like I'm talking to a wall.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by Fatphantom
    so whats the horrible truth about AO?
    There is none. AO is a perfect community where everyone gets along while learning and prospering.

Banned
    My 2 cents:

Recently, we've had some complaints about the language use on AO (more particularly, some posts in the Non-sensical Thread). The posts were reported by a minor.
    After the complaints, Ennis stepped in and asked people to tone it down (Page 707 and again after a second complaint on Page 714), and also mentioned the use of the Hidden Post-feature.

In stead of toning it down, someone who was posting in that thread (so he should have read Ennis' warnings) decided to not only not tone it down, but on top of that create another account posting even more vulgar language (not to mention the nick "riotwhore"). We all know by now that this person is not rioter.
    I then banned "riotwhore" (for the deliberate use of vulgar language, and personal attacks), and we found out that "riotwhore" was the member whom we had gotten the reported posts about. So we have vulgar language, dual accounts, ignoring warnings of a moderator and deliberately going in against them, and personal attacks.
    He's had his warnings, decided to ignore them, and got banned for it.
    As MsMittens mentioned, it wasn't the easiest thing we've done here at AO, and we would never ban anyone without a bunch of warnings, without checking out all the facts, without giving people a chance to comply. There's nothing wrong with being a non-conformist, but there are lines that should never be crossed.

These are the facts. Now the rest

There are numerous threads on AO asking JUPM to change the meta tags of this site, to take down the "hacking tools", to get rid of everything "hacking"-related,...
    The reason people ask is most of the time the same: the site is getting blocked by proxies, is considered a hacking-site by school admins,... and therefore blocked.
    I wouldn't want AO to be listed on blacklists as "that site with the vulgar language unsuitable for minors", if you get my point....

AO French Antique News Whore
    AO is on my work blacklist! I'm filling the firewall log with an entrie everytime I click on a link here! I double the logsize since I'm in!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Banned
    You are the light and I am the darkness.
    And that was the horrible truth about AO.

I don't agree with this much, as it does in a way come down to freedom of speech, but I'm also a no body here with no power. I say how I feel and hope someone thinks about it, that's all I can do. I'v been reported probably at least 3 times.

I was asked very nicely by a Mod to hide a post I had made because of language, and I agreed, and when I got back I let the Mod know I was now home and could hide the post as asked.

I didn't do anything else to make the thread more vulgar by adding a whole page of "**** you" or something, because that isn't right. I don't swear to be offensive, it's just the way I am. And after the million verbals attacks I have had here, I think I should be able to do the same. Even Ennis agreed that I have been pin pointed and attacked A LOT more than most have, and usually for no reason.

This reminds me, remember that newbie who had a Swastika for his avatar? Rioter was quick to jump in and tell everyone, including me, to shut the hell up because he could use any avatar he wanted because "He has freedom of speech".....

Just odd Rioter is mixed up in another AO drama where someone else is banned for language....How is it HE isn't banned I'v never seen him help anyone here, I have seen him go and flame people though, calling them idiots because he was to stupid to read their entire post.

It just seems odd he can survive this.

As for AO being black listed as a "Hacking site" and making it so people can't come here from work or school...That is gross incompetence from the admin, not the fault of AO. It doesn't matter if anyone wants to admit it, but AO is a hacking site. We talk about computer security, and how it works, and how you can protect yourself. That is hacking.

AO may not be Black Hat friendly, but to understand how to secure a system, you need to know how to get in in the first place.

Well, it's as MsMitten's mentioned earlier, yes we do all have freedom but everywhere you go there will be rules you must follow. If you choose to follow these rules then good for you otherwise you will have to face the consquences. Let's take school as an example. When you go to school you have the liberty to speak but the rules in a classroom are that during class you may not speak, so if you choose to speak and dis-obey the rules you would have to face the consequences the teacher decides. It's the same in AO. AO has their rules which all members are required to follow but there will always be someone who chooses not to obey these rules, therefor they have to face the consequence of getting banned from AO. I'm not exactly sure if AO has a list of rules somewhere, if not there should be, and when you sign up be required to read these rules (I like most people I know skim through the sign-up proccess).
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Technically, the rules are found in Legal Notices. But as is often pointed out, it's hard to enforce items when they are put in place afterwards rather than from the beginning.

Swearing, for the most part, if not overly excessive, is let by. Especially if users use the "Hide Post" feature. I'd rather not become a censorship nazi but if it gets out of hand, this might be something I'd have to unfortunately consider.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I gotta agree with Gore on some of the stuff he said.
    But then again look at me, i went out of my way with a previous account, to make people's time here at AO hell, i did everything from manipulating people, to Social Engineering the Admin into giving me some one's account.
    Thus i pushed the line, and i pushed it to far.
    I lost a lot of valuable friendships here, and all because of one person (We won't name name's will be *cough*cough*NFG*cough*Cough).
    I admit it i was stupid, i fell for her ****, i felt sorry for her as she made herself out to be the victim, when infact she was the instigator.
    Dont get me wrong i'm not playing the sympathy card here, but AP's brought the worst outta me, it was a power trip to me, the thought of being able to negg the S**T outta someone and not get in trouble for it was amazing..
    Then came the multipule accounts, + the alliances with other members, and believe me there was more then just me and NFG in that alliance.
    anyhow what i'm trying to say is that some people are just who they are, they don't have any respect for the rules, only because they've gotten away with so much they think that they can just do what they want and not get reprimanded for there actions.
    But there's gotta be a limit to how far you can push the line.
    As like gore said, there are a few members here that do nothing but single out other members here, and they get away with it. Because everyone thinks there funny.
    But then you get people with a lower rank less AP's, and they try to do the same thing, and what happens they get banned so quick it's just amazing.
    Anyhow i think that there should be a page set up with the Rules on it, as the FAQ is pretty vague at times.
    and at least people carn't use the excuse " Oh but i didn't know that was against the rules".

well there's my 2 cents..

cheers
    .:front2back:.