Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial help on Happyhacker.org

Tutorial help on Happyhacker.org

I was checking out these tuts on happyhacker.org and some of the steps were a little vague and i was hoping somebody here could point me in the right directoin since everybody in their irc channel decided to ignore me.

http://www.happyhacker.org/gtmhh/vol3no6d.shtml
    Whoa, look at all those file folders that come up on the screen. Now for fun, click "Program Files" then click "Accessories" then click "Paint." All of a sudden Paint is running. Now paint your teacher who is watching this hack surprised.

Next close all that stuff and get back to the URL window in IE. Click on the Windows folder, then click on Regedit.exe to start it up. Export the password file (it's in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). Open it in Word Pad.
    I could not find the password file in the hkey_classes_root folder of my registry(i looked for a while). whats the name of it? (im running windows xp home)

http://www.happyhacker.org/gtmhh/vol3no6e.shtml#cheap
    1) Click "help", then "About Microsoft (name of program inserted here)," then "System Info..."

2) This brings up a window which includes a button labeled "run." Click "run" and put in anything you want, for example regedit.exe! (That is, unless the security program you are trying to break has a way to disable this.)
    didnt see a "run button" when i did this. im using microsoft office xp.

HappyHacker.org is an evil place full of bullsh*t. I would stay away from it, and anything else associated with Carolyn Meinel for the sake of your own sanity.

Real security doesn't come with an installer.

1.) This works on . . .
    its Windows 95 computers
    2.) . . .
    this doesn't work on [versions proceding] MS Office 97
    I strongly agree with D0pp139an93r on this subject, HappyHacker.org is a childish site. You will learn a lot more be staying and browsing the forums here.

Sorry for the short reply, here's a better explanation:

Carolyn Meinel is the mind (or lack there of) behind happyhacker.org. She has written a great amount of literature in many areas of computers. What she does is learn one small fact about computers, ie an exploit or something, and she proceeds make up 15 more things that sound good. Many of the examples of source code she provides will not compile on any *NIX box in published form. The very idea of her having any knowledge of computers or security is ludicrous.

/End rant. I gotta go home soon....
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

The last I heard of her she was 50, and people on a number of security sites - including www.attrition.org - were dissing her to the nth degree. So I guess the site is only good to give you a very basic idea of what kind of things you could look for. Stop after reading the titles

[edit]
    I am aware that attrition.org has been also negating the value of AntiOnline.com. But please see past this difference when judging these things
    [/edit]
    /\\

AO Part Timer
    I am aware that attrition.org has been also negating the value of AntiOnline.com. But please see past this difference when judging these things

To each his own. If you actually listen to everybody's opinions you'd lose your own. The community here is one of the best I've ever found online. There is alot of knowledge here also. Most of the folks I've chatted with are busy using it however instead of bashing other security sites. That should tell you something.

/rant

Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Ah happyhacker now that brings back some pleasent memory's.
    Nah but seriously if i was you i would stay away from that site it's filled with outdated rubbish.
    99% of the s**t there is made up.
    And don't make the mistake of buying any of her books either, waste of money, and now i'm stuck with some paper weights that i carn't get rid off.
    Tried donating them to the local Library but they just laughed in my face.

Anyhow like yeah if you wanna read tutorials then visit the tutorials section here, at least there not made up and there always up to date information.

cheers
    .:front2back:.

It is true, Carolyn Meinel is less skilled than my ass but happyhacker.org is the first site that actually learnt me something I could actually use. (That can also be because my knowledge of English was very limited at that time so I didn't understand anything serious lol).
    If you are older than 14 or if your native language is English that site is a waste of time, otherwise it'll teach you "something"
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I could not find the password file in the hkey_classes_root folder of my registry(i looked for a while). whats the name of it? (im running windows xp home)
    Highlight the key you are concerned with. Then go to the menu at the top.
    Click "registry", "export registry file"
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

happyhacker....that brings back some memorys.

Its a rubbish site, but before i completly write it off I think that it does have some value like providing newbies with the technical jargon (although limited) to use in searchs on google.

I think thats the greatest hurdle for someone new to this sort of stuff is to know what to put in google. Sure you can write things like hack, hacking, how to discover password and stuff but things like DNS, SSH, gopher, WiFI, RSA, Cron Job and the list goes on are never gonna be guessable for someone new to it

i2c