Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for Gore?

One for Gore?

Gore and I are interested in operating systems, so I am posting this for a bit of amusement

The point is that it is not only linux/unix v. windows...............these eletist arguments go back well before then.

http://www.levitte.org/~ava/vms_jokes.htmlx

VMS is actually an interesting OS, I doubt if it can be beaten at reliability and stability?.......you measure uptime in years, not weeks. And we now have open VMS that will run on Itanium processors?

OK it has been a rocky road.............. DEC was "The finest cavalry in Europe, and the worst led" (Marshal Ney: battle of Waterloo).................beautiful kit, superb OS............"stealth marketing".........."let us go somewhere quiet to die".........

I also happen to like their PCs

But I am an old fart....................enjoy the link

OK it has been a rocky road.............. DEC was "The finest cavalry in Europe, and the worst led" (Marshal Ney: battle of Waterloo).................beautiful kit, superb OS............"stealth marketing".........."let us go somewhere quiet to die".........

I also happen to like their PCs

But I am an old fart...............
    Old ?.....heh heh heh, your just a kid. I used to work for DEC. Before PC's were even invented, as a field engineer. Now that is 'OLD'.
    (Note: well we did have stand alone desk top style units, but the actual computer was just slightly smaller than the desk its self...lol)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Woot!!!!

I bet Mox remembers "Mohawk" computers..............ran "Mobol".........Is that what I have in the loft?..........bulge in the ceiling
    I am sure that it has 8.25" floppy drives? (eight and one quarter...........not a typo or they might be 8.5".........can't remember) IBM System 32/34/38s used to use them.

Cheers

And Digital Rocks!!!....................shame I could not afford it at the time

8 1/2" would be correct, and hard drives always used removable disc's (about the size of a large pizza). Winchester style disc's were just starting to come out, and after they did, every one had a lot of very large dangerous frisbies laying around.
    The old style removable disc's were great for phisical security though....you had a large cannister to carry approx 6 disks with you (heavy though).
    Floppies went from 8 1/2 to 5 1/2 to the present 3 1/2. And now we have usb flashdrives that are much more efficient.

[EDIT] We even had one punchcard machine - old at that time- that used a wire node style physical memory (damn, I've forgotten the name of the bloody heavy thing) [EDIT/]
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

And if you were really cool you wrote a little proggy to whistle Dixie on the vacuum drives about 03.00 hours

Drive the sysops mad...........and wake them up

Ah...........nostalgia

I also remember the 8.5" floppy disk writing machine (3270 or 3225?).......had a tiny "green screen" and this sort of periscope viewing system using a mirror

Damn those were the days hey boys..
    I remember when it took nearly a day just for the damned things to boot up.
    But they got some serious uptime though.

front2back

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Unix made Easy !!!! (3rd Edition???? )
    Title of a book I just got.
    I'm sending it back, as they obviously sent me the wrong one !!!!!!!
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Oh man....I really need to start coming back to this forum once in a while. I'v been caught up in the OS forum and havn't been in tech Humor for some time now. I'm reading this page now kind of giggling.

From what I understand these Anti-Unix jokes are mainly from people who can't understand it at all.

LOL VI= Virtually incomprehensible...Yea if you're a WUSS!!!! Buahahahahahaha

"Cretin and UNIX both start with C."

So does Coolness

"The scariest thing about Jurassic Park was that the control systems were Unix."

At least the machine had to be destroyed and or turned off from lack of power for the dinosaurs to escape. Lord knows if those things ran Windows you'd have a blue screen saying "RUN ****ER RUN THEY ARE ESCAPING!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Why does the DOS version of a program always run faster on a 2 MB 16 MHz 386SX than the Windows version on a 8 MB 66 MHz 486DX2?"

Yes, Mr Gates, why is that?

"Is MicroSoft a new toilet paper or what?"

Ohhhhhh yea!!!! You havn't lived untill you have whiped your ass with an NT manual! Watch the staples though.

"Question: Who said the name Microsoft and when ? Answer: Bill Gates wife at their wedding nigth !"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Then again, isn't SHE the "person" who came up with Windows ME and Microsoft Bob? She was behind both in some way. Hell, no wonder Bill married her, if she can suck that good at the office, she must be better in bed

the platters you are referring to,... my computer teacher way back in HS had a use for one.
    When the class wasnt paying attention, or at the start when everyones just gabbing away, hed toss it off his desk......send it clattering to the hard tile floor. When the thing finally settled down, the silence was AMAZING. he had EVERYONES attention. GOD that was loud...
    also did it to a sleeping student once
    kid nearly went thru the ceiling.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

I have a screen shot of an Apple I Whole screen is pretty much Hex.