Thread: does Linux log time/date changes?

does Linux log time/date changes?

Thanks in advance to all who respond - it's been a long day and I'm not up to scouring google for my answer tonight (a quick initial search didn't yield any positive results)

Simple question: Does Linux log manual time/date changes? If so, where (/var/what?)

To my knowledge (i tested this already) Windows XP does not...at least not in it's default logging configuration.

Cheers,
    <0
    Ego is the great Logic killer

What distrobution are you using?

I was suprised to find that Lindows has the same security setting GUI as um "windows"... lol

re: what distro

My question is distro neutral/generic.

I'm just curious if 'Linux' logs a time and/or date change as a default behavior.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    From what I've seen in RH and others, the answer's no. Time comes from your bios' RTC and then is adjusted by the timezone and settings of the OS. Now if you have a prog that's trusted in sudo or whatnot to run ntpdate, you'll have that logged by default. But the short answer, no.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

re: Vorlin

Thanks.

That answers my question

Cheers,
    <0

From my BSD man output:

"/var/log/wtmp record of date resets and time changes
    /var/log/messages record of the user setting the time"

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier