Thread: Boot problem

Red face Boot problem

Hai guys,Iam using win-XP(professional),whenever i start my computer it performs scan disk automatically,that too only for some drives,(eventhough I had shutdowned correctly).I thought it is problem of bad sectors, but my hard disk is a new one and i don't think there are any bad sectors.Is this some kind of virus?

Actually what are these bad sectors?How do they come?Is there any chance to prevent them from coming?

AntiOnline n00b
    hi aabhi

Have you let the ChkDsk run Through because if you stop it mid way the next time it will again come up.

Read this thread it has problem similar to yours and pretty good suggestions( By me of cource )]

Originally posted here by SwordFish_13
    [B]

Have you actually let it run right through yet? You may have a disk problem that needs to be fixed. if yes..(you have let it) I suggest you try the following things:

• Try Run Chkdisk /f from inside Windows. then restart and let it run. see if it runs again
    • Also Check you msconfig file. (StartMenu-->Run-->mscongfig) on the general tab, make sure the button for either "normal startup" or "selective startup" are checked.. The problem you described may be related to having the "diagnostic startup" selected.

if the above suggesstion dosen't help try performing a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    Check this Article At Microsoft Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer .

Hi,

Go to the hard drive manufacturers website...... somewhere in the support/downloads section you will find that there are free installation and diagnostics tools. Get the diagnostics and run them against the whole drive.

There are other tools............use the manufacturers one as it is a new drive and their tool will generate the "return to base" information that you will need to get it replaced under warranty

"Sectors" are logical divisions of the HDD surface that the drive uses as a sort of "map" or "index".............they can become physically or electronically corrupted/damaged, possibly with loss of data. They will be marked as unusable.

I think that you need to check the hard drive if only to set your own mind at rest.

I suspect that it is not the HDD, but something that hasn't finished running when you shut down.

My next trick would be to go into the system tray and shut down your running
    applications, then use task manager to close those without icons. Then run the disk check, then shut down and re-boot. See if you still get the problem ?

Let us know what happens

EDIT:

1. How many physical and logical drives have you created, and what is in them?
    2. From what you said, you are letting chkdsk run through, as it is automatically running on bootup, sounds like your problem is on shutdown?
    3. Are you running any legacy (old) software applications?
    4. What Firewall and AV software are you running?

Just Another Geek
    Run a chkdsk /f on the drives and let it work. The chkdsk that comes up during booting doesn't fix the errors (if any). That's why it keeps popping up.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Run a chkdsk /f on the drives and let it work. The chkdsk that comes up during booting doesn't fix the errors (if any). That's why it keeps popping up.
    this did not work sirdice.

My next trick would be to go into the system tray and shut down your running applications, then use task manager to close those without icons. Then run the disk check, then shut down and re-boot. See if you still get the problem ?
    this too did not work nihil.

EDIT: 1. How many physical and logical drives have you created, and what is in them? 2. From what you said, you are letting chkdsk run through, as it is automatically running on bootup, sounds like your problem is on shutdown? 3. Are you running any legacy (old) software applications? 4. What Firewall and AV software are you running?
    Iam using one 20gb and one 40gb hard disk together.Each consists of one phisical drive.
    20gb has one logical drive,40gb has 2 logical drives.
    Iam using Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) software and Nortan antivirus 2003.I have scanned my computer online by using Tren microsoft online scanner,I didn't find any virus.

OK,

I hope that you have got the HDD software and scanned your disks?

I would now re-install windows XP using the "repair" option

That might help, but I would like to know the results.

Cheers

Regal Making Handler
    I have seen this problem a couple of times mostly on win 98 box's but have once on an xp box. On the win 98 box's it was due to the computer working faster than the operating system and basicaly shutting off befor windows could right back to disk from memory. Microsoft brought out a patch to fix this some time ago and was available from there update sight.

On the xp box it was due to an out of date bios and this was corrected by updating the bios. It may also be a problem with your instalation of xp.

Is this a problem that has accurred since you added the second hdd ? What is the spec of your box ?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Red face

Try Run Chkdisk /f from inside Windows. then restart and let it run. see if it runs again Also Check you msconfig file. (StartMenu-->Run-->mscongfig) on the general tab, make sure the button for either "normal startup" or "selective startup" are checked.. The problem you described may be related to having the "diagnostic startup" selected. if the above suggesstion dosen't help try performing a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    even the clean boot did'nt help ,swordfish_13.

On the xp box it was due to an out of date bios and this was corrected by updating the bios.
    how to udate the bios.What actually out of data bios means?

Is this a problem that has accurred since you added the second hdd ? What is the spec of your box ?
    actually I installed XP only after adding my second hard disk.
    Iam using PENTIUM-III -750MHZ,Intel 815EP Chipset.
    I would now re-install windows XP using the "repair" option
    Is there no other simpler way nihil

aabhi,

That "repair" option is not complicated or damaging.............I am NOT suggesting that you format your HDD and reinstall.............just take the XP option to check the existing installation, and repair it if needed.

Have you got the latest updates for XP?

Try hitting F8 on boot up and boot into safe mode. Then run chkdsk on both your HDDs, then restart, and see if you still have the problem............you will find that chkdsk will run anyway, as it cannot access some of the files that are in use when you have an active windows session.

Have you obtained the disk diagnostic software for both your HDDs and run it yet?

Cheers

Regal Making Handler
    Updated bios, on some earlier mother boards the bios does not support a software enabled shut down. So when you went to start>shut down you had to wait for windows to unload then turn your box off at the switch. You update to the latest bios by finding the manufacturer of you motherboard looking on there web sight for an update. You then look for instructions on how to flash update the bios pertaining to your system.

You nead to no the exact version and issue of your current bios to do this.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry