Thread: How can I DISABLE comp at selected time/s?

Question How can I DISABLE comp at selected time/s?

Is there any programs or settings I can use/set so that at the times I choose, a computer will not work at all? It is on a network, but all the others must work. If you saw my other thread, you know about me setting up a 98 computer on a VPN. Everything was working fine until someone actually stole a key, went into a bosses office, took a Dell system restore CD, and installed XP. Somehoe while doing this they screwed up all the network settings. Now I have to start all over and get it back online ...with 98. *sigh*

Once I get it back online and in working order, I will be installing DeepFreeze! Mwhaha. That will keep it pretty much safe. Now I just need to be able to have the comp atomaticly disable it's self at the time/s I pick.

Thanks in advance.

*grin* household timer? lol (the kind you set for christmas lights etc)
    course they could plug it into another power cord...
    hmmm

Also if it was NT based you could set the allowed log in times
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

are you looking for it not to work or make is so that they cant reformat the thing again? Give windows 98 isnt the most secure os in the world but I would start by putting a password on bios and disabling the cdrom and floppy on boot, that will at least be a start. Then of course a password that only you know, naturally this wont stop them from getting on the computer but that is when you should start applying other lock down programs. I have seen a couple posted on here but I dont remember the names of them, a quick search should get you some windows 98 lock kits. but this should hopefully get you started

edit: for avenger there, I saw this new device on tv that you plug your tv/computer whatever into and it actually locks onto your plug and you can set it as a timer or make it so you need to use a swipe card for it to power on. I dont think it was too expensive either, I will try to look for it
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

First if you access the BIOS, then under power management there will be a timer setting allowing you you to set the startup time/s or shutdown time/s of your pc.
    NOTE: these settings are dependent of your BIOS version

Secondly you can select power management and specify after what time the pc should turn its self of. This can be used to turn of different devices eg. screen, hard drives or send it into hibernate. This will also be help full 'cause if the pc is awaken out of hibernation it will prompt for your password.

Alternatively you can set a <scheduled task> wich is very specific it asks the day, month and even year that you want it to turn it self of.
    =Life is what you make of it, not what you want it to be=

Of course one with mechanical aptitude could place a power cord retainer bracket furnished of steel around the power cords base to hold it in the PC, forcing that power cord to be used... or a metal box attached in a secure manner to the back preventing the removal of it... then same for the timer device, padlocked box over the timer device... but if you have to take it this far to simply keep someone off a computer... sheesh
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

This may sound stupid, but here goes...

Remove the CD-ROM. If there is a need for a CD drive, make it a network drive with restricted access.

No more upgrades...
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Originally posted by avenger_jcc
    Also if it was NT based you could set the allowed log in times
    OMG. That's it. I can not believe I didn't think of this.

Thanks everyone. All awesome ideas.