Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help freedom of press in canada

AOs Resident Troll
    >I repeat, there is no terrosist and we love Bush and god. I am having fun with anonymity and privacy and freedom of press.<

WTF is that

I am Canadian...and I dont love bush....or god for that matter....and I am FREE to say that....so are americans ....at least they used to be before their Patriot Act : )
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well you might look on yourself as a "really nice democratic dogooding knight in shining armour"

I have news for you kiddo..........I do not........if these so called "journalists" have anything to say..............let them say it under the laws of Canada........last time I checked it was still a democracy?

Or should this crew be allowed to make whatever slanderous/libellous/character assassination accusations they like...............without the people they accuse having recourse to remedy and the law? That is what you are implying, because I do not believe that Canada is some sort of third world dictatorship? I believe that if you are accused you have the right to defend yourself........hell, do you seriously think that people on this forum (AO) are so stupid as to believe that all you want to do is help these guys publish the sports results?

In any true democracy the truth is an absolute defence against any libel or slander action..........I guess that still goes for Canada?

If you have any part in this you make yourself a co-conspirator in the eyes of the law..............if I were you I would distance myself from them pronto!

Well that's the way I read it folks

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Honestly, I can quite believe that journalists can be censored under threat of a "fate worse than death" and that their employers are willing conspirators.

The real question is "how _important_ is this information and how much money/power do the censors have at their bidding?". That assesses the risk and whether it is worthwhile in the first place. Then comes the issue of the level of power/money. If that is unlimited then you are wasting your time in the first place, period. You will be caught/closed down/dead, take your pick......

Of course, the less their power/money the importance of the information is linearly decreased.

Errrrm..... Forget it..... It isn't worth it. These two are probably all fired up about something they feel is big - it probably won't get them that pulitzer they really want - and if it is that big the pulitzer will look really nice in their coffin with them..... Of course - you won't get a pulitzer 'cos you aren't a journalist - you will be buried alone....

Face it..... You have no idea what this _information_ is, do you?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Basically, the censorship from the boss is about the subject and the content. You can see this as a collective of journalists who wish to publish content outside the corporate thing on their free time.

They would like to have some sort of real protection but the subject is not about national security issue, its about political cartoon and express themselves. It is not information people would kill for because they are not suicidal. It is information that the newspaper wouldn't publish so I guess I don't have to make anything more that a web server and their lawyers will do the rest.

The fact is that its easy to find and sue anyone who talk about you in bad if you have money, don't matter if you win or lost, it cost a bunch.

Thanks you for your help

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    mt: So, from what you say it's a bunch of guys who want to make jokes that thier boss won't like.....

It's hardly rocket science and it can easily be worked out by yourself. I'm not inclined to assist because you raised a few "uh-oh" flags with me..... look back through my posting history - I'm a suspicious old fart...... What can I say?

AO combined with google are your friends.... learn to search and then assess your risk. If you learn and the scenario you profess is accurate then you can win easily.... If it isn't "all corrrect" then you can lose easily if you don't learn...... It's back to level of risk and knowledge... You control that.....

Have fun.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

BS...........................total BS

the censorship from the boss is about the subject and the content
    They are not journalists.................they are tossers................no journalist worthy of the name would work under those conditions?...........you sound like the kind of person that could even attract me into insurance sales...........even if I had to buy my own rubber gloves?

Try "satirical magazines"..............use google?...............look for "private eye" (a UK satirical magazine) or "The Phoenix" (Dublin, Ireland) then you will see what "real" journalists do.

But you only seem to have had one side of the story?...........the one you want to hear?..........the one you want us to hear?

These fifth rate hacks are upset because the boss has told them they are fifth rate?........tell them to come to England with their story and go to the Times/Telegraph/ Guardian?...if they get published, their Canadian careers will be assured?

I doubt if they have anything that the People/News Of The World would touch.............they might get into the Sport

I rest my case

Maybe I ate too much moose but I don't agree with you, you all said your opinion and in fact it did not helped me much in my technical evaluation.

nihil, even if I could sell you something I would'nt, I am a communist .

Ethically
    I must say I am proud of you. I think it is very important to ask us the meaningful question of why and what they will do with the technology we develop. But it is a promethean world (free man with science?), and you are a part of the evaluation phase so do your best

Technically
    I don't think the relation between anonymity/privacy effort and detection cash-power is linear (I hope I will find my curve soon).
    The anonymous mail-ftp system seem nice and I will come back to you on that subject if you care.

Thanks for all your comment

Forgive my cynicism, but are you actually Canadian? All the Canadians i have met seem to have a handle on basic english and sentence construction.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Forgive my cynicism, but are you actually Canadian? All the Canadians i have met seem to have a handle on basic english and sentence construction
    Not if he's from a province where French is the main language. Learning english after french can make your english a little odd. And he does trace back to a Canadian Province

And if this was to be published in a satirical publication, Frank. When I was in Ottawa and part of the political scene there, I was amazed at how much Frank was able to get away with. It's still doing that today.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Smile

You got it right Sherlock, I am a french canadian. The province is called Quebec and we won the stanley cups a couple of times

Please forgive my bad english syntax and vocabulary. Franks is bookmarked, thanks.

I got a little example of freedom of press related topic in canada this week.

Guy Cloutier (big man here) is being accused of sexual aggression from a women. Radios and Internet are talking about miss Simard has the victim, theres already many sites about that (example ) and it is the big news. It says in www.cyberpresse.ca tha the Sûreté du Quebec (our beloved police) is investigating about the leaches in radios and websites.

Some journalist may get in trouble, mostly because of Cloutier's political and financial power. But I don't care because I know the news now and they should keep their mouse shut up if they don't want trouble.

My evaluation: 100 man/hour to set up a proxy anonymous ftp&mail server could provail some anonimity/privacy if use properly from public access place and home. But there is no way to get 99.9% anonymity/privacy protection. I estimate protection to 80%, traces left by the anonymous mail on the user computer seems to be to biggest threat, because on the proxy side, mail can really be anonymous.