Thread: Error Message in W2K & Solution?

Question Error Message in W2K & Solution?

hi there... would like to ask about why the following error message always pop up everytime that i boot up my pc??

1st error message its regarding to "Symantec Ghost Configuration Server"
    " Unable to create the configuration server network endpoint. Please check that the system has TCP/IP networking enabled and that the network has been assigned an IP network address."

2nd msg also regard for Symantec Ghost
    "08001 [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] [Adaptive Server Anywhere] unable to connect to database server: Database server not running."

And this is the one that most common that even appear in my office pc..
    "At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details."

so what is actually the error msg telling?? and how am i going to fix it??

Another lame question is in the Processes in Task Manager (W2K), there are a lots of services running in the backgroud, right?? how do i know which one is the core services that should run and which are those like trojan house? i try to end some process, some success and some didnt~! Even 'Svchost' have more than one... how i figure out which one is real one? cause i know some trojan program like Beast is able to create a svchost and plant it to the system! is there any guideline to check for each of every services?

Thanks for even droping by to read my question.

Just Another Geek
    Is this a standalone machine or is it part of a tcp/ip network?

The first message seems to indicate that you don't have a configured tcp/ip network.
    The second message indicates that you have an ODBC database defined (named Adaptive Server Anywhere) but the Sybase database server that's defined there cannot be reached.

Either one or both seem to be needed by a service (probably Symantec Ghost) and because they failed the service will also fail to start.

All together it seems to indicate that you lost your network connection/configuration.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Regal Making Handler
    Hi i cant help with the error msgs i'm afraid but the running services i maybe able to shed some light for you. If you go here http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm
    This is a sight that i came across some time ago posted in a thread here at AO. Can't link you to that thread i'm afraid, maybe someone will remember the thread.

Anyway there is a good listing of services and what they are for. Also what i do if i don't recognise a service listed in task manager is do a search on my pc for it when it's found i look at its properties and location. This can give you a good clue as to what the service is.

svchost.exe is by the way a legitamate windows networking service.
    svshost.exe is not. So keep your eye open for this one as it's a nasty.

Hope this helps.

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Thankz SirDice & jinxy for the information provided~!! its really help (especially the URL for W2K servicecfq) and mostly solve me doubt for the moment.... ^_^

Happy Learning....