Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Determining a computer's OS?

Question Determining a computer's OS?

I've seen little message board signature thingies that display the OS and (proxy) IP addresses of whoever's browsing that webpage. I figured that it was some sort of javascript function or other, but then recently I was talking to a script kiddie over aim, and he correctly told me my OS while rattling on about how 1337 he was. I wasn't directly connected with him, and I never gave him my IP address either.

So, my question is how can anyone figure out my OS like that? Any replies would be appreciated.

Did you recieve or send him a file, or photo, or anything. In other words did you have a direct contection to him at anytime, or was it just through AIM chat function?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I've seen little message board signature thingies that display the OS and (proxy) IP addresses of whoever's browsing that webpage. I figured that it was some sort of javascript function or other
    Is this what your talking about? http://www.neg.be/php/checker.php

As for this dude knowing your OS and other stuff ...maybe you have a trojan on your box.
    That would explain how he knows this. Who knows that`s just a thought.

Mike
    NORML

Signature image is too tall!

I wasn't directly connected (I already mentioned this!), and I don't have any trojans on my computer... as far as I know :]

Originally posted here by ydobon
    I wasn't directly connected (I already mentioned this!), and I don't have any trojans on my computer... as far as I know :]
    You do now =D

How detailed did he or she get? If I add you to my buddy list, I can easily make an assumption of what OS you have just by putting the mouse arrow over your name, and it shows what capabilities you have. The capabilities can pretty much point at what you're running.

I think people are just trying to help you.

So, my question is how can anyone figure out my OS like that? Any replies would be appreciated.
    There is a shitload of info here on exactly what your asking if you just search and read.
    NORML

How detailed did he or she get? If I add you to my buddy list, I can easily make an assumption of what OS you have just by putting the mouse arrow over your name, and it shows what capabilities you have. The capabilities can pretty much point at what you're running.
    I didn't know that, but I don't use AIM either.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I can easily make an assumption of what OS you have just by putting the mouse arrow over your name, and it shows what capabilities you have. The capabilities can pretty much point at what you're running.
    Dosent that really just give you a hint as to if they have dial up or broadband?
    I mean the items listed under capabilities

I mean it`s a 90% chance they are running windows anyway....right?
    NORML

Originally posted here by Atticus|1
    Dosent that really just give you a hint as to if they have dial up or broadband?
    I mean the items listed under capabilities

I mean it`s a 90% chance they are running windows anyway....right?
    Na, you can do more than that.

For example, I have Gaim signed on right now on this box:

Capabilities: Chat, send file

My cousin's machine running Gaim:

Chat, Send File, Direct IM, buddy icon.

A buddy on my list running Windows:

Buddy Icon, Voice, Direct IM, chat, send file, add ins, send buddy list,
    IChat, AV

AIM for Linux is what I have on the bext next to me, the capabilities are:

Chat, Send file.

See the difference? Windows version has more.

I am a creative bastard though

Ahh quit stroking yourself, big boy. We all know how smart you are.... and your good taste in music.

hehehe

Misfits rule!!

Sorry for the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled B.S.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson