Thread: Very Noob --- question on WinXp Processes

Very Noob --- question on WinXp Processes

Hi all,i'm new in this kind of things,so expect many noob question...and please be understanding...

My fist question is...of the many processes show in WinXp TaskManager,what are the essential ones? For example,what "mdm.exe" do exactly? i am almost sure that is a windows process,but i have no idea what is for...

well i dont have that prosses running on my comp. what is its mem usage.
    [gloworange]Wiploc[/gloworange]

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Google is very good for this kind of thing. You can also find help at WinTask's Windows Process Library. Apparently, mdm.exe is:

Machine Debug Manager is used for debugging applications by technically advanced users and developers and is installed by the Microsoft Script Editor that is included in Microsoft Office.
    You also might want to investigate Process Explorer from SysInternals as it helps explains exactly which processes are doing what in memory. Very nifty little tool.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

3372 Kb...and it's from SYSTEM

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Google is very good for this kind of thing. You can also find help at WinTask's Windows Process Library. Apparently, mdm.exe is:

You also might want to investigate Process Explorer from SysInternals as it helps explains exactly which processes are doing what in memory. Very nifty little tool.
    That's a very nice process list library. Very useful. Useful indeed.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Thank you...i'll take a look at that

There's also a very nice page at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm . He goes into all of the services, and which you need for various configs. Worth a long look if you need to do a bit of tweaking.