Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More secure browser.

Why not using Opera browser, it contain a lots of features. But as nihil said, nothing is "secure". The others is depend on how you setting them. FireFox also is a good browser, I have tried it once, but I changed to Opera, because I was attracted by Opera's Interface, I'm not sure about the security in FireFox and Opera, what I know is Opera was the best browser I ever use.

Actually, to tell you the truth, i have tried several different browsers and browser addons. Opera, used to be my choice, then i tried firefox (which i like) and then i tried MyIE2. My favorite by far is MyIE2. It blocks popups, and supports tabbed browsing and has a much simpler interface than Opera. I have tried the latest version of opera and did not like it at all. I felt the controls were too clunky. I would have to recommend MyIE2 as the browser of choice as i have had NO problems whatsoever with it (other than the actual loading of pages can be a little slow at times)
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

MOZILLA WOOOOOOOO. Yeah. Just one thing to point out, if you want to put restrictions on your browser like you say catch, that is fine and dandy if you are running a big lab or an office. But for a personal pc, well correct me if I am wrong, but that is stupid as I'll get out.

I trust that you feel the same way, as it would piss you off if you had to change users every time you wanted to use your browser out of guest mode. Like a really long su.

So for a large network with many nodes, I don't blame you and I more than likey would go with your route catch. But for a single user, bah, I'll just use my mozilla and be happy.

edit:

MOZILLA WOOOOOOOO
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Banned
    Relying on applications to be responsible for their own security is just plain bad policy. Be the application a web browser, email client, web server, name server, whatever...

Think about it, if you utilize concepts of least privilege (even without other security mechanisms) it doesn't matter if your applications are secure. If your browser is logged in as a user with only enough privileges to web browse, then it doesn't matter if it gets exploited because the exploit will also run with only enough privileges to web browse... not enough to actually harm the system. Every single high security system utilizes this concept to a high degree. Lower security systems (NT, UN*X, Linux) also have the ability to use least privilege although (particularly in the case of Linux and UN*X) to a lesser degree of granularity.

As for the burden it places on the user, simply creat a short cut for your application, set it to run as a different user and then to run as that user everytime (little checkbox) and use a guest type user with no password. Ensure this user can only log in locally. After the initial setup, running the application is seamless.

catch

You people do this for a living, and none of you could type "Links" as the most secure browser??

Of course this post is nothing more than me trying to start a discussion on browser security including more than the 3 or so mentioned =D

Links

Is this the browser you were talking about ?

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mik...shots/jpg.html

Could you tell me why you like this. Because unless your working on a
    linux/unix box without X it seams a bit useless. But you got my attention.
    Why do you like it. And to continue are there any other browsers out
    there worth to take a look at besides:

IE
    FireFox/FireBird
    Opera
    Links
    MY IE 2

And who here uses MyIE2 ? Because I never heard of it before?

As for the burden it places on the user, simply creat a short cut for your application, set it to run as a different user and then to run as that user everytime (little checkbox) and use a guest type user with no password. Ensure this user can only log in locally. After the initial setup, running the application is seamless.
    Is this possible in XP pro ?
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Links is the ****! I run a few UNIX/Linux/BSD boxes and sometimes I close X down completly...actually I do that a lot.. Anyway, Links allows you to use a lot of features that usually you'd need to load X for.. I just woke up and I'm going to work soon so forgive any spelling errors, and maybe I'll add more to this in a while...Like in a few hours heh. Links is awesome though. Text based browser which is GREAT for testing new web site creation ideas, and you can have frames!

If you build a website, look at it in links. If you can links it, **** it. =D

Mostly Opinion, but it is a good text based browser. Which is why on MY REAL web page, you can actually view that in links, as the only picture on the whole damned page is one saying "Microsoft free" and that is what the server came with, I just left it on.

I prefer FireFox as well, but rig IE up with FreeSurfer pop-up blocking and Analog X's Cookie Wall, and it suddenly becomes a formidable contender.

Think about it, if you utilize concepts of least privilege (even without other security mechanisms) it doesn't matter if your applications are secure.
    With all due respect, I must say said quote is very naive. You can never afford to be that confident in an application. No matter how awesome your settings are, believe you me there's a user out there who can screw it up so that your security goes down the drain. An application, regardless of its settings, is only as good as the human behind it.