Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Way To A Tell WHEN XP Was Installed?

A Way To A Tell WHEN XP Was Installed?

Someone at work installed XP over 98 w/o permission and messed some network things up. Is there any way at all I can view the actual time and date this was done?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm... Check to see when the boot.ini was last modified?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Go into system restore and look for the first date on the restore calendar. That will be the date and time XP was installed.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Thank you both. Before I posted this, I did the System Restore thing and got a time. I just wanted to make sure that was right and try to find out if there was a better way. Thanks again.

Hi Dislex,
    Another simple way to get info on your OS is to open the command prompt and
    type "systeminfo", without the quotes. This returns quite a bit of information in one fell swoop,
    well layed out. Another one of those nifty features of the command prompt.

g8way2u

Banned
    Damn, i was about to tell him about the command prompt way, oh well.

but for this post not be be completely unusefull looks for something like this

Original Install Date: 2/28/2004, 1:07:47 AM

Well, just out of curiousity, what would be the windows 2000 command for system info because I get
    'systeminfo' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    also tried sysinfo, nope.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Yep, the world is not perfect. I failed to mention that the command "systeminfo" is one of the new features not found in MS-DOS. My apologies, but it happened to be relevant for DISLEX, since it was XP that was installed over Win '98.

g8way2u

DeadAddict,
    you've made my day. I cannot believe the usefulness of this tool. And it is free!!!
    I've just gotten some 'old' box, and now I can take inventory of all kinds of stuff.
    I even realized that my RAM is not matched up optimally. Tears of gratitude to the
    developer and to you for posting the link. I'd give you a zillion points, if it weren't
    for the fact that I've been warned about dishing out too many positives. Can I give
    you some negs with a minus in front?

Thanks

g8way2u