Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many virus

Question Too many virus

Hello, when e-mail is opened, of 108 new emails 100 are infected and only 8 are good, is there a way to stop that?

What email? Outlook? Maybe some kind of spam filter would help. Make sure your AV is updated, and put housecall.trendmirco.com in your favorites just in case. As for preventing these emails in the first place, are you the admin of your network and email or just a user of one?

Lightbulb

I forgot, yes i am using Outlook XP

Deathmon,

Where are all these e-mails coming from?

Is this at your home, or at work?

What is detecting the "infection" and what does it say that the infection is?

Cheers

Wazzup deathmon?

Consider this,

First, be careful how you allocate your e-mail accounts. Generally you may have 1-5 or maybe even 10 e-mail accounts allocated to you by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Create one or two accounts which you only want to pass out to people you trust or use for important matters. If you spend lots of time on forums or browsing sites that require memberships, create accounts specifically for that purpose. You can also create free accounts from the likes as 'hotmail'. The idea is, that with some accounts you may not become too upset when you delete them because of all the spam they start generating. This is not to say that your important accounts are immune from spam, but you can minimize the volume.

Second, take a closer look at your ISP. Some are better than others at providing tools that allow you to filter spam. Ask around.

Thirdly, often when creating accounts on web-sites, you'll be prompted for an e-mail address. OK, but once you have your user name and password, consider how often you require the e-mail account. If you can live without the account, delete it. Having chosen the e-mail address from a pool of "sacrificial accounts", you won't have to worry about it.

It sounds like a bit of 'overhead', going through all that trouble, but the more often you do it, the easier it gets. Pretty soon you'll be a guru at configuring your account settings on the ISP's web-site and on your e-mail program.

Next, if you live in the world of convenience, get a 'Spam Blocker', especially if your ISP cannot provide you with some filtering options.

You may find some fun or amusement in creating complex e-mail names. That could help cut down some spam based on name or dictionary generators. Also make an effort to review the privacy policies of the places you drop your e-mail at. Often it is simply a matter of being more selective of the sites one visits.

Obviously the next step is knowing how to differentiate the good from the bad. That has and is being covered on this forum extensively. Browse the 'e-mail' threads via the search engine.

g8way2u

You could (If it's your home e-mail) log on to your ISP Webmail server delete the e-mails you suspect of having been infected with the virui (viruses ??) then they won't be downloaded, if you are using exchange, see if webmail is running on the exchange server, then if it is do the same.... mind you if this is exchange we are talking about I suspect your sys admin isn't doing his/her job

Just Another Geek
    {..} the virui (viruses ??) {..}
    The correct spelling is virusses

Deathmon: You can find out where those virusses come from by looking at the Recieved: headers inside the email (search AO, there are some tutorials on how to do this). You'll probably only find out from which ISP it originated but that's usually enough. Just send an email to the abuse address of that ISP and attach the headers. Then the ISP will contact their user and make him/her clean up their PC. If they don't respond or clean up they will lose their Internet connection. Either way you won't recieve anymore virusses from that user.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Smile

Thank you for the correction, i need to improve my english lessons

Also thanks for the help

The correct spelling is virusses
    I always thought the plural of virus was virii but a quick search turned this up

http://www.perl.com/language/misc/virus.html

v_Ln

SirDice,

Your advice for tracking the sender of the virus could work if it wasn't for the fact the lastest (NetSky and MyDoom) spoof domain's of the sender, so that makes the tracing of the sender redunadant, also I have found that ISP are less than helpful when it comes to advising their customer that their PC is infected and they need to clean it (I have tried myself even to the point of giving the ISP the logs of my firewall and copies of the e-mails) makes no difference they aren't interested....... too much like a customer service thing I guess.
    Lack Of Planning on your part Does NOT constitute an EMERGENCY on mine !!!!!!!!!!!