Thread: FBI public email hacked?

AO Senior Cow-beller

FBI public email hacked?

Source
    FBI shuts down public e-mail system
    Friday, February 4, 2005 Posted: 12:38 PM EST (1738 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The FBI said Friday it has shut down an e-mail system that it uses to communicate with the public because of a possible security breach.

The bureau is investigating whether someone hacked into the www.fbi.gov e-mail system, which is run by a private company, officials said.

"We use these accounts to communicate with you folks, view Internet sites, and conduct other non-sensitive bureau business such as sending out press releases," Special Agent Steve Lazarus, the FBI's media coordinator in Atlanta, said in an e-mail describing the problem.

The FBI computer system that is used for case files, classified and sensitive information, and internal communications is unaffected, Lazarus said.

The bureau is in the process of switching its e-mail accounts, officials said.

Lawmakers and the Justice Department's inspector general have criticized the FBI for taking too much time and spending too much money to upgrade its computer systems.

A $170 million project, Virtual Case File, may have to be scrapped because it is outdated and inadequate, FBI Director Robert Mueller acknowledged Thursday in testimony on Capitol Hill.
    More info about why they think someone hacked in would be nice, although I'm sure they can't comment about ongoing investigations etc. ad naseum. Anyone have any idea what company runs this? Any dirt? I'd like to know what spooked the federal dicks (that's slang for Detective, you perverts.)
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm... I wonder if this thread might have something to do with it?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

He was just testing his skills?
    life sux, live with it.

Serves the FBI right for thinking that they're all that and a bag of chips... I mean.. Who the hell do the think they are? The FBI or somethin.... o wait a minute.. LoL
    M ! D G e T