Thread: Windows Update problems

Windows Update problems

I'm having problems with Windows update in that it wont install a particular security patch.

The exact same patch appears each day, and I download it. I receive no error messages to say that it hasnt installed, but the next day (after a restart) the same patch still needs to be downloaded.

The only time it tells me that it hasnt been installed is when I try installing from the windows update program, rather than just when the bubble pops up in the bottom right of the screen.

Any ideas?

Disable system restore, restart thecomputer and try it again , by the way what patch is the one you are haven trouble with ?

2 things I'd suggest:

Firstly - as GrApHiCTrOn mentioned, turn off system restore. If you need help doing this you can get instructions for either ME or XP here:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDoc...SysRestore.htm

Secondly - make sure your either logged in as the local administrator or a user with administrator privilages. Some WindowUpdates require you to have administrator privilages when installed, or they won't be able to make some of the needed changes...

If that don't work - let us know, and also let us know which patch it is you're having problems with...

Hope that helps,
    RRP

Thanks, I'll try that. I only just put System Restore on so that's probably the problem, as I have Administrator rights.

The patch is: KB824146

str34m3r
    Sometimes, if you don't have the most recent service pack installed, new patches won't install properly and will fail silently. While this is not true for all MS patches, I have run into it on more than one occasion.

Ive had a similar problem. I downloaded the SP-1 and realized I didnt like it, it slowed down my comp so I uninstalled it and now I can re download it. Without it most of the other windows wont install either.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Well disabling System Restore didn't work. Looking at the installation log, it looks as if the patch has failed since September the 11th, and I have no idea why it would do so as all other patches have installed ok, and i havent made any major changes before the 11th.

The only thing i can think of is that I installed a network card sometime this month, not sure when though.
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

Solution #1: I think, better you reinstall your OS, then update it before you install others application, because I think that it coflict with other applications.

Solution #2: Or you can disable AV or Utilities before you update your window. If it still doesnt work, I suggest to backup all your important data and reinstall your window (Solution #1)

I hope this may help...

I recently had a similar problem on a machine running in VMWare. The problem was the update services themselves. I had to manually download the patch and install it myself. It installed fine then. If you do a google search on this you will find that several people have had similar problems, some of them due to Root certificate problems.