Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: comp. part of network and logoff user

If it's your personal (private) laptop and you've hooked it up to............................................................ and you installed your own software, again I would kick you out because you've just compomised the TCB (Trusted Computing Base).
    gotta agree with you there - have enough probs making sure that work computers are clean without someone linking up their own PC with god knows what on it *shudders*

if your worried about people accessing your computer while you are gone why not just disable shares before you log off?

surely the only people who can remote desktop into your PC are the admin/tech guys and why worry about them messing up your PC? they're the ones who would have to fix it

as for just disconnecting cable I would go nuts at anyone in the office who modifies the hardware in any way at all without me telling them to do it. You may know what your doing but what about others in the office who may not anything about computers? if they follow your example and start yanking out cables who pays for any damages?

v_Ln

Coolcamel
    The way it sounds you dont have much of an IT support team in your work place. If that is the case I can understand your concerns. The only thing is that the machine is not any safer when you are loged on or when you are not loged on. Unless of course you are spending all your time keeping an eye on your logs and know what exactly you need to look for.
    If each person is responsable for the security of their workstation then i would sugest you do a serch here to find out how to properly secure you machine. I am sure that there are a good few threads dealing with the issue.
    A few basic ideas :

keep your antivirus up to date.

Make sure you have strong passwords on your user account and if possiable on the local administrator account on the machine. That is if it is not defined by the network admin. If there is one thing that really annoys me it is to find, just when you are in the middle of an important update, someone changed the administrator password on a machine and deleted the domain admin from the local administrators group to make it more secure.

Keep up to date on the security patches from microsoft windows update, Norton live update, etc.

Anyway just a few ideas to get you started. The best weapon against any threat is knowledge, so keep informed.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Just Another Geek
    All I can suggest is having a talk with the IT manager and tell him about your worries regarding the security at your company. You'll probably need to cut through loads of red tape but in the long run, and if you play your cards right, you'll make the whole company's network safer (and not just your machine) and you may even end up as the company's IT Security Officer.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

hi

hi all
    thanks to you all ppl for your suggests
    and your replies.
    All I can suggest is having a talk with the IT manager and tell him about your worries regarding the security at your company. You'll probably need to cut through loads of red tape but in the long run, and if you play your cards right, you'll make the whole company's network safer (and not just your machine) and you may even end up as the company's IT Security Officer.
    SirDice I will took that as a motive and i will keep
    reading and learing to become a computer Guru .

thanks again .
    coolcamel.

everything is a test !

hi Zetaphor

Remot desktop is disabled from services.
    edit] Just occurred to me, have to authorize remote user to control comp, rather than just view
    NO, i havnt authorize remote user to control comp.only netbios share.

So there I was logging in, and emailing all my important files to some unknown source, and then deleting core system components, all on my office computer, while relaxing in the break room. God, gates is a genuios
    in that case i will disconnct the cable from the computer till i i using it again.

regarding the bios i will tell the friend when am away .
    if theay say NO i seem i have no choice its the hard way then its my computer.

Coolcamel
    to disactive remote desktop you right click on the mycomputer icon go to properties and then click on the tab remote control. you just disactivate the two options for remote assistance and remote desktop. As far as I know the person using remote desktop needs to enter his user name and pass word before he can connect to your machine.
    If someone wants to reactive the remote desktop when he doesn't have physical acces to the machine he will have to have access to the registry by the network. You can block this by going to the service manager and stopping the remote registry service. This also may not be appricated by the Admin but it is still better than pulling the plug on your network cable which is in my opinion the computer equivalent of sticking your head in the sand.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Another alternative is to lock down the connection when you want to "disconnect" from the network. Zone Alarm or Norton Firewall allows you to turn off network activity. You can do that and still be logged in and not physically disconnect.

If you disable netbios you can still survive on the corporate lan. You'll need to ip address of servers you need and log in to each individually.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

hi

Lucktsm
    Another alternative is to lock down the connection when you want to "disconnect" from the network. Zone Alarm or Norton Firewall allows you to turn off network activity. You can do that and still be logged in and not physically disconnect.
    ur takling about blocking all the traffice from the firewall .which is good alternative when am busy but not away of my computer.
    by the way am using sygate firewall .
    u know the admine of the network get sence of humour he told me once camel why dont u use norton on ur laptop?
    i told him i dont have a latop .
    he said " oh i forget,i seem am getting older i will start thinkig about retired "
    i said " take it easy ".
    poor admin thinks we all the same .

==
    MURACU
    i know how disable it but thanks for ur informtion .I will check them again as u know practicing and exercising leads u to be perfect.

thanks 4 u all
    coolcamel