Thread: Wild Tangent and F*$%&#* AOL

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Wild Tangent and F*$%&#* AOL

I noticed a large spike (586 events a minute) associated with updaterservice.wildtangent.com. After some poking around, I found that Wild Tangent is installed with version 5.5 of the AIM chat client. Now, I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I think it is worth another mention.

Anyway, SpyBot and Ad-Aware did *not* remove Wild Tangent when installed by AIM. I dug up some removal instructions that do work (I forget where I got them).

1. Close AIM
    2. Open my computer and navigate to the folder \Program Files\AIM
    3. Delete the file AIMWDInstall
    4. Navigate to the folder \Program Files\AIM\Sysfiles
    5. Delete the file AIMWDInstall (do not delete AIMWDUninstall)
    6. Open add/remove programs in the control panel
    7. Uninstall WildTangent multiplayer library
    8. Uninstall WildTangent Web Driver
    9. Uninstall WildTangent Updater
    10. Restart the computer
    11. Navigate to the folder C:\Program Files
    12. Delete the WildTangent folder
    13. Navigate to the folder C:\WINDOWS
    14. Delete the wt folder
    15. Open start/run and type regedit
    16. Delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WildTangent
    17. Add the domain wildtangent.com to the IE restricted sites zone (even
    if you don't use IE)
    18. If this is the only user account on this PC you're done, if not keep
    reading
    19. Open regedit again
    20. Navigate to the key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains
    21. Right click on it and hit export
    22. Type a name for the file and save it to C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Documents or any other place that all accounts can access
    23. Log into each account, double click on the file, and hit yes in the
    box that appears
    24. You're done

This worked fine for me. Now I have to script it and blow it out to all the users who installed AIM 5.5.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

thanks for this TH. although we dont "allow" AIM i still get some in the remote locations that do it. its been no biggie, i just call and ask them to please remove it armed with this info i can send every one a letter to all and post and article on the intranet site. hopefully you've saved me allot of work. sorry i couldn't have done that for you.

while gathering information on this i came accross an article which isnt particularly about aim 5.5 but its worth a look to be sure:

There are other things that AOL software does. For instance, some software such as Netscape and ICQ 2000b will insert free.aol.com into Internet Explorer's "Trusted" security zone. When you put a web site in the "Trusted" zone, Internet Explorer will allow that site to download, install and execute any piece of software completely without interaction with the user.

The reason for AOL inserting that entry became clear when we started spotting ActiveX files from free.aol.com in people's HijackThis log files at the message board. AOL is inserting their web site into the "Trusted" zone so that they can install software without the user knowing they are doing it!

http://www.computing.net/security/ww...orum/9665.html
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Urgh! Thanks for the heads up Tedob1, I had no idea that AOL has gotten this sneaky. It's time to fire up group policy and add all of their domains to untrusted.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    AOL's login servers are blocked and IDS'ed on my network..... It's a business network and logging onto AOL is a non-business act, thus the IDS.

I see it this way.... I run a network for professionals..... AOL is for amateurs..... 'nuff said?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yeah, I certainly agree. However, the use of AIM is a political issue that I have battled since day 1. Perhaps now I have a little more ammo.

Leave it to my pal Tiger to give me the needle!