Thread: Is my Pc infected with virus..

Question Is my Pc infected with virus..

Hello
    I have a triple boot system with xosl as boot loader. The OS are Win98SE , Win Xp and Redhat Linux 9. Yesterday when i was working in win98 I noticed a Enviroment variable called "Blaster=AS23 2SDE 23EW JR32". Is this a virus....
    Be Cool

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Don't think so. I believe that's the environment variable for Sound Blaster.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

But my PC does not have a sound blaster card. My sound card is onboard AC 97. Though my speakers are indeed SBS15 from sound blaster but i dont think that speakers need an environment variable
    Be Cool

Not so long ago there were only a couple of soundcards. Your AC 97 is probably just a sound blaster clone. The enviroment variable is there for dos compatabilty. It allows dos games etc to know what interrupt and dma to use.

In win 9* if your card is sound blaster compatable there is a good chance it will create a enviroment variable when it is installed. I would do a serch in my boot files to find out where it is defined (autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini, ect). Sorry if I got the names of any of these files wrong but it has been a while since i looked at 98. In any case if in doubt update your anti virus and do a full system scan.

edit : damn owensleftfoot you got your answer in just before me. ..
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

autoexec.bat

c:\>SET BLASTER =a120 I7 p330 t6

Sound Blaster variable

That`s on my win98. It`s not a virus. MsMittens solved that.
    NORML

Signature image is too tall!

Thanks Guys! I am relieved.....
    Be Cool