Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNS Setting

DNS Setting

Hi, I have been trying to set up my own DNS server, and I read in one of the Doc I got from the net
    that BIND would have some problem if my network had less than 255 addresses.

And I only have I address, as that possible to use a 1.1.168.192.in.arpa (etc)?
    And could I use my ISP DNS server in my domain.?

Thanks Prophet
    You are what you have conquered not what you have!

Just Another Geek
    I've got BIND 9 running at home with just a handfull of addresses. Runs like a charm.

You can set the forwarding addresses to your ISP's DNS addresses.
    I'll even recommend doing that.

You should have a 1.168.192.in.addr-arpa if you have a 192.168.1.0/24 network.
    That zone would contain just 1 PTR record.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice: Wouldn't it be kind of pointless (outside educational purposes) to run your own DNS server on such a small network?

You have one more service running than really needed. You'd just be increasing your security vulnerabilites if you don't know how to properly and securely configure it.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You should have a 1.168.192.in.addr-arpa if you have a 192.168.1.0/24 network.
    That zone would contain just 1 PTR record.
    I didn't get it.
    What is PTR? and why would I need a 1.168.192?

Wouldn't it be kind of pointless (outside educational purposes) to run your own DNS server on such a small network?
    That is one of my reasosns the other is I can't find one free.

A PTR record is a pointer record for reverse lookup for DNS. It is used to find a host name by using an IP address. On windows 2000/XP you can use nslookup to test it. The fact that there is only one is probably because you haven't set any host records up, or if you have you didn't tell them to create a PTR record as well. So the one that is there should be the IP address of the server running DNS.
    1.168.192.in.addr-arpa represents the network you are on which as sirdice has said looks to be 192.168.1.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Greg

Re: DNS Setting

Originally posted here by profetas
    Hi, I have been trying to set up my own DNS server, and I read in one of the Doc I got from the net
    that BIND would have some problem if my network had less than 255 addresses.
    Could you link the doc? I'd be interested in reading it. I've been running BIND9 systems on my home network as a caching+local authority nameserver since BIND9 has been out.

And I only have I address, as that possible to use a 1.1.168.192.in.arpa (etc)?
    And could I use my ISP DNS server in my domain.?
    Should be perfectly fine.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    SirDice: Wouldn't it be kind of pointless (outside educational purposes) to run your own DNS server on such a small network?
    Not at all. A caching nameserver can speed up web surfing times by lowering the latency involved in DNS lookups on successive attempts. This is why many broadband routers (ie: Linksys) provide DNS functionality in addition to DHCP and routing/NAT.

You have one more service running than really needed. You'd just be increasing your security vulnerabilites if you don't know how to properly and securely configure it.
    Not really. For a caching-only nameserver you do not need to forward UDP/53. For an authoritative server, you need to, and must accept the risk, but for a small simple caching-only server, it's a non-issue. Your only worry should be hosts on your local network.

If you need/want any help setting it up, feel free to stop by the unerror IRC and ask me for it. If I'm not AFK or absent from #lobby, I'll answer any questions you have to the best of my abilities.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

chsh: good enough reasons for me. thanks
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I am heving some problem with rndc now.

When I try to run it it says: connection refused.
    and the DNS server won't start up.
    I red some txt saying that it was required to add a the control reference key in the named.conf but it didn't work.
    could anyone help me?
    I just want to make this DNS server to run as simple as possible

Thanks

Originally posted here by profetas
    I am heving some problem with rndc now.

When I try to run it it says: connection refused.
    and the DNS server won't start up.
    I red some txt saying that it was required to add a the control reference key in the named.conf but it didn't work.
    could anyone help me?
    I just want to make this DNS server to run as simple as possible
    If you like, send me an email (chsh1ca@yahoo.ca) with a copy of the named.conf attached (blank your IP addresses if you like). The DNS server should be started first, so if I can see a copy of your named.conf file, I'll help you troubleshoot it.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Just Another Geek
    Instead of me explaining it, I found a site that does a much better job.
    You can find it here:
    http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.