Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W32.Small.gen

W32.Small.gen

did a google and a dogpile and cant find a free removal tool, symatec scan picked it up becuase (a net friends puter) puter rebooted itself occasionally, avg doesnt detect it niether does pest patrol, anybody have any info, i got her on messenger and she is a little frazzled, thanks all!
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

a program called lava soft adware should do the trick search for it from google if you like its
    great works every time mcaffe sucks my opionon its never worked for me

that didnt work, but ty anyways
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

adaware is a exellant product rootmage but it dosn't detect or remove viruses just adware spyware and some related trojans. just running adaware without av is asking for trouble

Small.gen is pretty much a generic name for a program that downloads and executes other malicious programs. w32...well thats kind of obvious. anti virus will pick up a file that does this and call it small.gen then proceed to delete or quarentine the file that contains this code. could be as rootmage suggested and its a spyware/adware updater. if thats the case most anti-virus firms wont recogognize it because it would be inviting a law suite from the oh so upstanding scum ware er ahh excuse me, market research and advertising folks.

because this is a generic name you'll not find a "remover" for it. how to get rid of it? provide more info, like a hijackthis log or a list of running processes
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Originally posted here by jxrry59
    that didnt work, but ty anyways
    what makes you so sure she has this...because her computer is re-booting. there could be many reasons for this. does she have all the hot-fixs and service packs installed for her operating system? is she running anti-virus software? does she have no firewall all default settings and no password for her account running as administrator? it could even be a hardware or software problem.

im a little comfused by this:

"symatec scan picked it up becuase (a net friends puter) puter rebooted itself occasionally"

what exactly does that mean? symantec picked it up because the computer re-booted? does she or doesn't she have av?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

w32.small.gen

Thank you Tedob1, I am the lady in distress. Will a screenshot of processes, will this help?

Yesterday my system kept rebooting. I am up to date with o/s and antivirus. This evening I scanned on symantic website and it found this trojan. Unfortunately, like you said, it seems to be a generic name so they offered no removal advise. I hope this helps explain my situation a little clearer.

did it say the name of the file infected?

attached is a zip file containing some tool. unpack them to a folder then double click snoop.exe. its just to make running the other files easier. click the button fport. this will list all the process that have network connections. copy and past the results into notepad. do the same with pslist. i think the button says list_ps list processes and do the same with thewe results

today it has not done it at all. Yesterday at least a dozen times. I have been online this evening for about 5 hrs and no probs yet, but was obviously concerned with the report from symantec.

if you have restore point set up you can turn the system back to a point before this started happening!