Thread: Kintama: P2P Virus on Winny.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Kintama: P2P Virus on Winny.

Hrmm.. anyone know about this one? Seems a lot of it is Japanese but give it enough time I suspect it will come here.

Source: The Inquirer

File sharers scream as virus gets them by the cojones

A total balls up, Kintama San

By INQUIRER staff: Sunday 04 April 2004, 17:50
    A REPORT ON the Mainichi Daily News web site says that a virus called Kintama is picking up details of P2P chat room users' PC screens and then spreading the details worldwide.

Winny - a popular file sharing program in Japan - is being particularly hard hit by Kintama, which apparently grasps file sharers by the cojones, squeezes out bank account numbers and publishes them world wide.

Kintama is clever enough to screen capture a person's PC once a day, and then file share it amongst other users.

Which could be highly embarrassing and costly.

Ouch! This does not appear to be a late April Fool's joke.
    Found more details once I found the more common Symantec naming: Antinny.G

The W32.HLLW.Antinny.G worm is a variant of W32.HLLW.Antinny. It spreads using the Winny file-sharing network.

The worm steals personal information, including name, email and files, and sends it to a file-sharing network.

The worm has the Notepad icon or a Windows folder icon.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hmm, tried looking it up to see what platforms it runs on, but all I got was some stuff in Japanese, and a bunch of stuff on the band Kintama. Maybe the band created it, that would be a hell of a way to draw people into at least checking them out.

I should make a band called MyDoom, it sounds like a band name, and my site would have a huge hit count

I just saw that article over on Inquirer, too, and started looking around for info. Nothing, really, although I did punch in "Kintama" into my Mozilla address bar and accidently hit enter, only to get some some Japanese.. umm.. libido enhancing.. er, something.

Anyway, the P2P virus circuit is interesting - I'd like to see more on this one..

l00p