Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E-mail Address Spoofing?

Heyy,

What I feel is that Spoofin in Hotmail is easier... using telnet
    In yahoo, I think we need 2 telnet .... 'n follow a different procedure...

What do u think ??

Thanx.
    - SCORPION

Just Another Geek
    Mightysuraj: I'm not quite following you. Both hotmail and yahoo are HTTP based emailproviders. We're talking about SMTP here.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SirDice. Look up Eigth Wonder they have/had a spoofer using Hotmail. They used to have a server (mail.hotmail.com I think) you could telnet into and send mail from. Maybe it is still up but I have not tried to use it in a while. Yahoo! probably has or had the same type of thing. In the end headers can tell you most everything, although if they sent it from Yahoo! or what not you are going to have to have them check the logs which they probably won't do.

-Cheers-

Sir Dice,

I waz talkin' of telneting to mx servers of hotmai (mx1.hotmail.com) is possible ... but telnetting and spoofing yahoo(eg. mx2.mail.yahoo.com) isn't possible by the same method ... Maybe mx*.mail.yahoo.com is configured differently .. Why is it not possible ? ... Or is it in some other way ??

Thanx.
    - SCORPION

Just Another Geek
    Pm & mighty: you're both talking about (open) relaying which is an entirely different ballgame.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Lol. I don't necessarily understand all of it, just that it's out there and people use that. Spammers use open relay as I understand as well.

-Cheers-

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Hello, Quickj Noob question. I was wondering if it were possible to spoof someones e-mail account to send out fake e-mails.

Yes. A simple telnet session:

* telnet to port 25 of any web server
    * type: mail from: spoofed@adress.com
    * type: rcpt to: recipient@of.the.letter.org
    * type: data
    * type: your message here
    * type: .

This is also easy to trace back to the orignal sender.

The reason why I ask is because I keep getting these Virus e-mails from a person(s) using my domain name's e-mail addresses.. I know it's not an actual e-mail address (since I'm the only person who can authorize a new e-mail account), but it's starting to make me worry. Specially if someone spoof's my e-mail address to get someone else's information (password, etc).
    Contact your ISP at abuse@isp.com or close or this_is_abuse@isp.com Hope this helps User.

Can anyone explain How do u trace back the original sender ??
    - SCORPION

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    You have to read the headers. There are also 3rd party software that will inspect all e-mail spam such as spam investigator you can find it at www.webattack.com or www.download.com btw, SMTP port 25 isnt secure at all very vulnerable about 92% of them allow anonymous connections.