Thread: Wierd firewall messages on game ports

Wierd firewall messages on game ports

whenever i play a game on on the internet and then close it, my firewall goes crazy and starts getting attempts to connect on my comp on whatever the game port was. anybody know why that is, i usually just ignore it. also, this time the computer trying to connect was going to port 6112(starcraft) from port 1065(syscomlan). what was it doing from port 1065 for? here are the fw logs for these.

here is a normal one:
    Inbound UDP packet
    Local address,service is (mycomp(192.168.0.138),6112)
    Remote address,service is (69.157.137.105,6112)
    Process name is "N/A"

here is the one on port 1065:
    Inbound UDP packet
    Local address,service is (mycomp(192.168.0.138),6112)
    Remote address,service is (24.125.123.50,1065)
    Process name is "N/A"

apparently starcraft only uses port 6112(according to blizzard and battle.net), so why is this dude connecting from 1065? all the port databases say thats for syscomlan whats that?

btw: im running windows xp home, norton firewall 2003, and i was playing starcraft at the time

Thats odd, try blocking that port (1065), and see how starcraft likes that...
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux

Re: Wierd firewall messages on game ports

Originally posted here by Phonedog911
    whenever i play a game on on the internet and then close it, my firewall goes crazy and starts getting attempts to connect on my comp on whatever the game port was. anybody know why that is, i usually just ignore it. also, this time the computer trying to connect was going to port 6112(starcraft) from port 1065(syscomlan). what was it doing from port 1065 for? here are the fw logs for these.
    [...]
    apparently starcraft only uses port 6112(according to blizzard and battle.net), so why is this dude connecting from 1065?
    btw: im running windows xp home, norton firewall 2003, and i was playing starcraft at the time
    It's quite possible that there is a legitimate reason for the difference in port. I can NAT outbound UDP/6112 to another address and still play on Battle.net, as there is no requirement that the source port be 6112 (to my knowledge and experience anyway), only that the destination port is 6112. Possibly it is some kind of third-party hack or cheat, or some other issue. I could not google anything up using various search terms. Observe the behaviour more, and determine if it is abnormal, or if a sizeable portion of users are exhibiting these symptoms, and that should answer your question about whether or not it is related to the game or the Operating System.

Since a moderator is going to mention it to you, I'll let you know in advance: please X out any IP addresses you post here. You may wish to edit your post to reflect that.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

well, we looked into it and that ip belongs to a friend of my who was in the game, he lives down the street from me. he was connecting through a router, so it could just be from that. im confused about was that i thought that on gaming networks like battle.net, WON, steam, etc. everybody connects a server and there is no interaction between the individuals computers, so why was i getting connection attempts from my friend?

Starcraft runs on a mostly p2p network. You connect to their servers for chat and game listings, but when you join a game, you have a direct connection between your computer and the host computer (the person that made the game). I haven't played or 'tampered' with SC in a long time. IIRC ports 1065, 6112, and 6113 usually had to be open for SC to be friendly with you.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.

so, why is it that this guy connects on port 1065 and i connect on 6112?

edit
    i never heard anywhere that starcraft used any ports besides 6112, are you sure you remember that right? i searched for starcraft ports on google and all the pages i found say either 6112 or 6112-6119 or something like that.

I remember some non 6112-6119 port being open, but I don't remember what it was, 1065 sounds right. However, I may have no idea what I'm talking about. You can modify the game port that SC uses to avoid firewall conflicts by modifying a registry entry. Don't remember the exact key, but you can add a Value named GamePort and set it to whatever you want to use as your starcraft port. It's been heard that some people do this to play on B.net with two machines behind a router in the same game so that they don't have packet confusion.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.