Thread: looking to attack a honeypot...

looking to attack a honeypot...

okay im kind new to this whole idea of a system you can legally break into... i have a couple of questions...

1>is this a good place to learn?
    2>how can i find a honeynet project that i can play with?
    3>is it possible to play on a honeynet with W2k?
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

Hey Hey,

1. Anywhere is a good place to learn... this is a great place to learn. However using words like Hack and attack will cause you to part from the site rather quickly... watch your wording.. This is a computer security site, not a hacking/cracking site, which we frown on.

2. You play with a honeynet project and you are asking for trouble. A Honeynet is a Network of Honeypots, a Honeypot is a way of monitoring and watching hackers. Read http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/h/honeypot.html

Check out places like hackthissite.org. Other than that look for wargames that are out there, just make sure you read the fine print and are sure it's legit.

3. You can do security auditing from any operating system. However you should set up your own test network and play there. It's safer and you'll stay on the right side of the law.

Peace,
    HT

Honeypots, nets aren't for practice... they are "traps" set to catch new forms of attacks. If you attack one, chances are you will be logged and reported. Best way to learn is to set up a fun little network in your treehouse and learn a lot about operating systems... then on to programming... then on to common vulnerabilities. Then you learn to secure what you know how to break.

So in short... don't google honeypots for a place to practice.

treehouse???
    Don't know how that came out but I'm stickin to it.

edit: If you were wondering about honeypots and didn't intend to sound like you wanted to attack one... Theres a book out by the honeynet project that is very good, it reviews honeypot software and does some basic analyis and junk. I haven't had time to set one up myself but it looks fun.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    okay im kind new to this whole idea of a system you can legally break into... i have a couple of questions...

1>is this a good place to learn?
    2>how can i find a honeynet project that i can play with?
    3>is it possible to play on a honeynet with W2k?
    1). The title of your thread is 'looking to attack a honeypot...' You definitely dont wanna start attacking services thats not there. Say the actual system is Running Windows 2000 the security consultant could set it up to look like your attacking a Linux box. To answer your first question It's not the best way to learn it but it works.The only system I know you can *legally hack* is your own systems.

2) A simple search in any search engine will display results ex.http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...+can+play+with

3). Additional resources http://www.honeypots.net/ids/links http://is-it-true.org/pt/

What I like to do is ocasionally play with VMWare and try to hack that. Of course you need to pay for it, unless you're willing to settle only for the trial period. Other than that, if you have another computer around the house, you can play around with it to really get a feel for the 'game'. But vmware can be quite a lot of fun, especially for a newbie since it's perfectly legal to try n hack the other OS [which resides on your own hard-drive anyway - more info at www.vmware.com]

[edit]
    I know vmware is not a honeynet/pot, but as it was already pointed out before you do not really want to be caught in honey.
    [/edit]
    /\\

okay wow i had a misconception then... i suppose i should of read more indepth... sorry about the lingo i had a misconception about the use of the honeypot my apologies.... then im looking for war games then... thanx though for the promp responses and corrections...
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975