Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton help

Norton help

my friend is having problems with norton AV. it won't let him turn on the e-mail scanner, disc scanner, or the firewall. i went to his house to check it out. i clicked the enable button to turn them all on, but it didn't do anything. what should he/i do? i was thinking that i should uninstall it then reinstall it, but i don't know. HELP!!

Can you do an update and manual vurus scan? Just in case something viral is causing the problem.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

no. i tried that and it still didn't work.

Does still have time left on his subscription? I have had problems with older versions of Norton and the subsription running out. What version of Norton does he have installed?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I would run an online AV scanner like "housecall" from Trend Micro or the one from Panda Software, just to be sure it isn't something "attacking " Norton.

Failing that, uninstall and reinstall, it could be that something has become corrupted or is clashing with it. Have you tried running it in safe mode, and manually activating it.

I had the same sort of problem with McAfee a while back, and reinstallation solved it. I never found out why

Is your friend running any other interactive security software like a firewall, spyware defence, trojan defence? that can sometimes be the cause? It might be worth switching off as much stuff as you can, then try activating it?

Cheers

nihil - McAfee is buggy that way and I've encounterd the same situation countless times. When a Dat file gets corrupted it can hose the entire program. Ocassionally I can force a dat update but most of the time I am forced to reinstall also. After saying all of that I think you are right.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

There are also several different types of spyware that can disable firewalls. After you scan at Housecall, which nihil recomended, run Spybot Search & Destroy (make sure you update!) and Adaware 6.0 (make sure you update!).

One more thing to think of:

Have you tried manually updating the virus definitions?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

i've tried to manually update the virus definition, but it doesn't work.

about adaware

im not sure if this is common knowledge or just a rumor, but to my understanding, adaware makes its own spyware, personally i use webroot:spysweeper, of course just ignore me if im talking about the wrong thing
    [shadow]The Black Fox[/shadow] http://www.antionline.com/sig.php?imageid=641 Killing Viruses One at a Time. http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=639