Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows ME security

Windows ME security

Sup yaa,

I need to know the different ways to bypass and secure the Login in a Windows Me environment. This is for a client of mine. Does anyone know where I may get the information?

God Bless

I'm not sure on that one, but my first suggestion to the client would be to get rid of Me as soon as possible. Oh, that's a horrid, horrid OS, problems abound.

Ohh I know that. But you know some people won't listen. I support a full NT shop instead.

I know there ways different ways to get in a win9xme without a password. Especially like clicking cancel and booting into dos to rename some files.

I'm just looking for the Top 5 ways. Without the use of other programs.

Originally posted here by HolyRollerZ
    Ohh I know that. But you know some people won't listen. I support a full NT shop instead.

I know there ways different ways to get in a win9xme without a password. Especially like clicking cancel and booting into dos to rename some files.

I'm just looking for the Top 5 ways. Without the use of other programs.
    One easy way to get past the login screen: (works in 98, dont remember about ME)
    Hit Escape when you get to the login screen. It will allow you to get into the computer.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Unfortunately ME uses FAT32 and not NTFS so there is not much you can do security wise without going to third party software.

You could set the power up password in the BIOS as a last resort.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Hey CXGJarrod thanx for adding to the list.

Is that a Ghost Recon gaming Clan?

Man I Love that Game.

Hit Escape when you get to the login screen. It will allow you to get into the computer.
    It's that easy? Holy cow, it's even suckier than I thought!

Man I Love that Game.

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    It's that easy? Holy cow, it's even suckier than I thought!
    You can get it to force a network login, but in the default setup it will allow you to bypass the password screen with escape.

Man I Love that Game.
    We play CounterStrike 1.6 in our clan. (No other games at the moment)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)