Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi im new and i have a question

Hi im new and i have a question

My question is what does it mean when I message someone on Aol instant messenger and the person doesn’t type anything they just “Connect to Send Image” over and over until I accidentally pressed enter and we have a connection, and then he closes the connection.

I didn’t understand what he was doing at first so I logged on as a different screen name and he tried doing the same thing again.

Can someone explain what went on? Or what should I do?

Collecting IPs for scanning maybe?

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
    IP Retrieval - Connect to Send Image. Send file. Run, command, at DOS prompt, type netstat -n, look for the ESTABLISHED field and copy the address

another interesting link here - same premise:
    http://www31.brinkster.com/aimlife/aimS3.htm
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

But theres many ways to get IP addresses, like on message boards for instance. But i changed my IP address, am i still at risk?

Are you at risk? Sure, we all are. I have no idea what defenses you have on your system. Do you have a firewall? Do you have an antivirus program? Do you have filesharing on? You get my drift, so I won't continue.

Just do some cursory searches on firewalls, etc to see what you can do. I'm curious as to what you did to change your IP. Are you on dialup or do you have multiple ISPs? Somebody will always be able to get your IP, so I would focus on protecting your computer, not your IP.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

My computer is working fine, i guess what im worried about is whether what he did allows him to view what i do on the computer and private information such as Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, etc.

I have Norton Anti Virus, im doing a complete virus search on my computer now.

just quickly check your processors, see if anything weird is going on... maybe he has already got your IP and has something on your computer.
    But mainly i wouldn't worrie about it, it is easy to get an IP, just go down to "www.whatsmyinternetaddress.com" or something like that, it only realy matters if he can acctually put something on your computer, and if youve got Nortons then thats not a problem.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Moved from Antionline: How do I? to Newbie Security**
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Maybe hes trying to get a DC (direct connection) somehow?

Having Norton AntiVirus is a good thing, plus being up-to-date. I would make sure to have all of the current Windows security patches installed, plus you might want to look into getting some sort of firewall software. Everyone here seems to stand by Zone Alarms, but a simple search of "firewall software" in a search engine will give you a lot to look over.

The reason why a firewall would be good, is because you can control who is connecting into you. Because the firewall will block all comunication ports but what you set active. Which is nice because that way no one can use any sort of port scanner to try to find a "back door" into your computer. Plus typical firewall software will tell you who is trying to connect in and on what port. If you notice that you keep getting a connection attempt on noe specific port, or you have a certain IP that keeps trying to get into your computer, you might be able to take better actions by blocking IPs and such.

A firewall software package you might want to check out would be Zone Alarms, or even Norton Personal Firewall.

Just a thought...
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Hes trying to get your IP address. And I hope his is someone you know because if your connecting to strangers your a fool.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com