Thread: Cisco Warns Of WLAN Hole

Banned

Cisco Warns Of WLAN Hole

Cisco Systems warned in a security advisory Wednesday that some versions of its software for managing wireless LANs have a security hole that could enable hackers to take control of a WLAN or Web site

http://informationweek.securitypipel.../news/18900665

I checked this forum and it wasn't posted before, if it's somewhere else then somebody needs to move it, and i'll delete this one.

Hmm I would've put this in Wireless Security, but anyway...

Just another hole to go with the rest of the WLAN technology. Well, it is a work in progress, but it's just like the second coming... makes me think of the olden days when modems were just out for everybody to use. It's the same today on the wireless level, since everything is new and improperly configured/secured just yet.
    /\\

Actually I don't understand why everybody suddenly wants to go wireless. The connection speed is much lower than cable, there are more holes in the wireless security protocols than in Swiss cheese and it's still much more expensive than cable.

cheers
    The following statement is correct.
    The previous statement is false.

paranoid_sonic: Very true... however. I like it for a couple of reasons.

Its great for apartments and the like where you can't just go tearing up the walls putting in wires wherever you want.

Great for mobile users who like to go to coffee houses and airports and still need net access.
    (mobile users with wifi enabled handhelds or laptops)

Its nice to be able to move around without the restriction of wires.

I have a 802.11g w/less router at home. I just put it on a separate subnet and created ACLs in my cisco to block all access to/from the wireless network to the wired network EXCEPT to go to the internet and a printer.

Other than thouse reasons... I'll stick with wires when possible.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Like we needed to have a Cisco press release to tell us WLAN is vulnerable. Eh?

Nice.

That's why you should only use VPN with wireless. hehehe
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson