Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time as what?

30 years in the linear passage of time as measured in the distance a light beam takes to fly by the planet.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    30 years in the linear passage of time as measured in the distance a light beam takes to fly by the planet.
    thanks for clearing that up for me.....i'll sleep easier tonight tired from doing the time warp!
    ..."lets do the time warp again".....
    everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge:
    AND I\'M ABOUT TO BREAK...LP

shall i ad a thing or two.

Maybe I can try to contribute again.

You see sometimes time seems the go fast and sometimes time seems to go slow.
    Also it seems time goes faster as you grow older. How is this possible?

For the first problem although you figured both out yourself probebly. Time fly's when you are having fun. Meaning if you don't think about time time seems to go faster(most of the time) while if you spend every minute looking at your watch time seems to act like a tired slug.
    Your brain has it's own way's of measuring time but its not concious when you are occupied with something you have no frame to put your actions in so it seems time went really fast.
    But when you ceep looking at your watch you are creating a frame in wich you can see exactly how time is moving, compared to not knowing the time this seems to go a lot slower.
    Ad to that that your brain has different way of percepting stuff( let say different modes) depending on the mode time is also percepted differently.

The problem with time seeming to go faster as you gro older is related to memory and reference to it. When you are only a year old a year is the same size as your entire life. For you who has no other reference this seems like a huge period. When you are 10 this is only a thenth of your life now a year seems a lot smaller. Fast forwarding to 100(if you grow that old) a year is such a small
    part of you time frame that it seems to go quite fast.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Regal Making Handler
    If you think of time as a wheel rolling along the sand, is it the wheel that is time or the track it leaves
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Re: shall i ad a thing or two.

Originally posted here by MoonWolf
    Maybe I can try to contribute again.

You see sometimes time seems the go fast and sometimes time seems to go slow.
    Also it seems time goes faster as you grow older. How is this possible?

For the first problem although you figured both out yourself probebly. Time fly's when you are having fun. Meaning if you don't think about time time seems to go faster(most of the time) while if you spend every minute looking at your watch time seems to act like a tired slug.
    Your brain has it's own way's of measuring time but its not concious when you are occupied with something you have no frame to put your actions in so it seems time went really fast.
    But when you ceep looking at your watch you are creating a frame in wich you can see exactly how time is moving, compared to not knowing the time this seems to go a lot slower.
    Ad to that that your brain has different way of percepting stuff( let say different modes) depending on the mode time is also percepted differently.

The problem with time seeming to go faster as you gro older is related to memory and reference to it. When you are only a year old a year is the same size as your entire life. For you who has no other reference this seems like a huge period. When you are 10 this is only a thenth of your life now a year seems a lot smaller. Fast forwarding to 100(if you grow that old) a year is such a small
    part of you time frame that it seems to go quite fast.
    but that still doesn't really address the question of the reality of time. our brains do perceive time in different ways (ie, slow, fast...), but does that mean: time is time and its our brains that see it different. or that since time is man made then of course it is going to fluxuate as our perception of it does.

and when you look "back at something 'in your past'm, think about it". now when you 'remember things, do you remember them as happening to someone else, from a different time period, or did it happen to you? it happened in the present when it happened, its still in the present, cause you are still you...so now that would explain why something that happened to you "30" years ago - something horrible, a devastating injury, or you were mistreated in someway...those things stay with you like they just happened....so if this time thing was real then it seems that it wouldn't stay in our minds like it was from the past, and not be with us, giving us as much or more pain and distress than it did when it happened....
    everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge:
    AND I\'M ABOUT TO BREAK...LP

hey echocontrol.

I'm not shure if you are confusing time and memory's or if I am reading your post all wrong
    maybe you could restate the question ?

Thanks.

-moonwolf
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?