Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: God and his damn rock

Sence this is on the subject of big philosophical debates, What came first the chicken or the egg? lol Riddle me that. I took a logic couse last sumester based on Aristillian Logic (Aristotle's logic I think but can't spell therefore I'm still in school). It was really fun. with the whole square of opposition and stuff.
    My preception IS reality.
    Just because the majority think it\'s right doesn\'t make it right.
    If you don\'t like it, Don\'t Settle For It.

Sorry underclockdmind but that question is fairly easy to answer. The egg came first going by eveloutionary principles. I will try to make sense.
    Each generation changes slightly. the change takes the form of mutation in their DNA and genes which take effect before the , in this case, chicken hatches. This means in an over simplified form that the egg from which our modern chick hatches is lay by what we may call a proto-chicken. Of course since chickens have been domesticated they no longer evolve as we weed out the undesired mutations.
    Then again if you take the bible as your referance the chicken came first as it would have been created at the same time as all the other animals.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

LOL, I wonder how many others have sat in front of their screen pondering the notions of god and what to type. How much time has passed before one can string together the myriad of thoughts into something cohesive. And then to realize how silly or serious religion is.

The thought of trying to apply logic to questions of the ability of a deity to construct an existential framework that would constrain its 'power' is interesting, but more so as a reflection of how we as humans govern ourselves and within societies as well. I think that the seperation of church and state within 'republican' systems of governance is a good reflection of our standard of living. It has certainly put the pope in his place.

A god is a great concept for the individual, but for the collective masses of this planet in this day and age a source of 'global' conflict. There is nothing logical within two diametrically opposed societies to claim a god to be on their side. On the other hand, religion is often just the facade that obscures political and economic processes which now manifest themselves on a global scale.

It is about power, and the man that thinks himself as the chosen one, thinks with his dick,
    just like nature intended, but with a trick up his sleave; he can manipulate the poor, for he can offer "hope" in the form of miracles.

A society that teaches how to read and write, encourages free thought, grants equal rights to its women, and empowers its members to share in powers of governance stands a far better chance to evolve and constrain poverty. But with no 'poor', the chosen one loses his dick.
    An enlightened society is the greatest threat to a Theocrat...because he can no longer pull the wool over his constituencies eyes. Knowledge is power...and it allows for individuals to come to terms with their god.

"Each generation changes slightly. the change takes the form of mutation in their DNA and genes which take effect before the , in this case, chicken hatches."

Perhaps, but I must disagree with mutation at hand. I believe genes in the sense of mutation can't change. Let me explain, If one jumps from a high rise building and lands else were. Where he later dies. Now for hundreds of years this continues. Man cannot mutate into a bird like sense with the ability to fly.

Let me explain with a historic background.

For thousands of years man has ran to please his needs, either it be food or the need to travel a long distance. Mutation is false, man is still not a running being and always was.

I believe you can adapt which is done over time.

MURACU, "what has a being has a(n) end." But again, there is no end. Negative (including all involved) there is life because life is the beginning of life....
    I hope you understand, this is hard to grasp.

This is not d00dz anymore as for my past is behind. I am DoTW, decipher me.
    Greetings to all.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

d00dz Attackin
    The proper term is evolve, Which I should have used. Evolution is the mutation of patterns in the gene pool. Of course when you talk about natural evolution you talk about time spans of hundreds of thousands of years.
    Another point to take in consideration is that evolution stops when socity evolves. That is a speices no longer evelves once it starts taking care of its weaker members as the weaker traites are not weeded out by natural selection. .
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

"To develop or achieve gradually: evolve a style of one's own."
    Same as adapt..

Evolve: accommodate, adapt , adjust, alter, alternate, commute, convert, diminish, diverge, diversify.

I believe you can adapt which is done over time.
    Lets read what I wrote.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

could jesus microwave a bean burreto so hot he himself he could not eat it
    -homer simpson

i just thought that i should point out that this issue was brought up on the simpsons

Interesting point about evolution halting based on the evolution of a society to a point where through science and compassion, they begin to alter or supress bad gene patterns. But they can make new patternes and direct adaptation to suit their needs, thus becoming creators on a small scale. Adaptation and Mutations do not necessarily lead to evolution in a natural sense. While I see the point that humans control a great deal of their own continued evolution, I do not agree that it has stopped. For instance I believe the mind is still evolving. Certainly biologically we will develop (evolve) resistances to disease etc, outside normal medical procedure.

Even if one supposed god created mankind and humans and animals did not evolve for billions of years. One cannot argue that evolution does not exist by examining what we know and what we have seen change through history by both natural and selective alterations. When those changes move forward to a point where the previous state is eliminated, that is evolution.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Re: Re: God and his damn rock

Originally posted here by OverdueSpy
    I am afraid that your decision is based on a false assumption. An all powerful being cannot create something more powerful than itself, because it is already all powerful. To put it another way, once the status of all powerful has been achieved any elevation to a higher status is not possible. However an all powerful being can create another all powerful being equal to itself. Now, for arguments sake I will assume that you are correct in your assumption, but that leads to a more interesting question of "Why would an all powerful being want to create something more powerful than itself or a rock that it cannot lift?"
    An all powerful being on your nix box: root.
    Can root create a more powerful being?
    The answer is simple; no. Since root already has access everywhere and the ability to do nearly anything it is inconcievable that something could be more powerful than root, except of course my sledgehammer when root screws up and causes a coredump
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"