Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 simple questions about crackers

T3h Ch3F
    Originally posted here by MicroBurn
    Basicly a script kiddie, or "hacker" that does things illigally, and destroys them, or uses them for their of personal gains.

Basicly an idiot.

Peace
    MB

Micro you must be a SYSADMIN! heheh

P:
    Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

stickman,

The article you read was most likely about Adrian Lamo. He's received a lot of press lately (mostly because he hacked into the New York Times and they decided to press charges) and it's true that he only uses a web browser to find his way into corporate networks. You can read more about his adventures here:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/6888 - this article illustrates what happens when you engage in illegal activity
    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/296 - this is an article about some of his tactics

It's not rocket science, but it is illegal so don't get any ideas . As for your third question "why arent so many crackers hacking using it", the answer is, they are. A web browser is just one of many tools in an attacker's toolbox.

Take care,
    _TOMDAQ

Quick comment:

You might also see the word "cracker" used for someone who breaks the security of commercial software in order to make illegal copies. This illegal software is frequently called "warez"

The concept is the same: illegally circumventing security measures?

Cheers

why deos every one think that crackers are hackers? crackers are people (yes they are lame)
    that crack into trial software and use lots of methods to make it full version with out paying

now what you guys are mistakeing crackers for are black hats ,darksides ect.

ps myself i think there cheap lol

sorry i did not notice this has been said before

Just a quick note again about crackers. Everyone seems to portray crackers as bad and evil people who destroy everything. Well, that may be true, but, without crackers, we'd have no need to secure software, we'd have no need for securing our networks, that entire job market would be gone. I'm not saying that crackers are good, and I hate it when lamers DDoS some server because that's awfully lame. I do have some respect for software crackers as it generally takes more skill to crack a piece of software than to d/l skiddie tools. I have even more respect for the people that identify problems with systems and offer fixes. Both blackhats and whitehats have a great deal of knowledge about programming, networking, security, and whatnot, but we clearly see that knowledge is two-sided here. I don't feel that crackers are bad, I feel that they're a necessary evil.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.

quote:
    I have recently read an article in the recent wired (dont ask me which one though) about a guy who hacks into servers and other computer systems using only a browser.

Methods like SQL injection or Unicode can be perform~

Is a cracker a blackhat? LOL

Well, that may be true, but, without crackers, we'd have no need to secure software, we'd have no need for securing our networks, that entire job market would be gone.
    yea plus this site probably wouldnt exist.
    [shadow]The Black Fox[/shadow] http://www.antionline.com/sig.php?imageid=641 Killing Viruses One at a Time. http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=639

Banned
    Is a cracker a blackhat? LOL
    Yes.

There seems to be 2 views:

Hackers = good, they test network security and release info for security
    Crackers = bad, they test network security and exploit

or

Hackers = bad, they test network security and exploit
    Crackers = bad, they break code, programming for access

There are just too many definitions to get worked up about it.