Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gmail

It looks like google will end up with the largest and most complete spam collection in the universe if they do keep all emails , what a feat.
    I am under the impression that google will put ads at the bottom of your emails akin or worse than msn and yahoo (don't quote me, but that is what i understood from something i read the other day). I refuse to send others garbage, as it is classless and crass. So i will probably not be using there service and well, a proper domain for email is more respectable and presentable. (john83452344@google just sucks)
    The one redeeming feature that i would make use of is the 1 gig. If you can search your messages with great speed it would be useful for multiple high volume mail lists , eg a bugtraq, vulnwatch, full disclosure..... a quick and easy personal database of many security lists?
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I will say, that dealing with the added spam would be a hand full. To say the least.

But the thing that alot of people are forgeting is that Google isn't making a person sign up. You sign up if you want to. They are offering a service. (One that I for one will be signing up for. ) At the same time, there are plenty of companies that collect information on you and sell it to companies. Google isn't hiding it in the fine print of it's document. It is coming out and saying it.

There is one more thing that I have to say. 1 GIG. Do you know how good that will be. I most of the people on this site don't have 1 gig for there email on any server. Even counting the stuff they pay for. So let's see, I sign up for google I get one gig of space and all I have to do is let them read through my emails and target me with adds. I think I can do that. I will still have my Yahoo account so anything that I would care if it were looked at I will send to that account or my personal account. I don't personally understand how people are so angry with this. If you don't want the service don't sign up. End of Discussion. It's not like Google is forcing you to use there product. *cough* M$ *cough*

I personally believe all this is coming out because google is about to take over another share of the market, so M$ and Yahoo. Went to there senators in CA and hinted that they should start something on this.

IMHO this is total BS.

Folks can just forget about gmail now.. there's something available right now without all the worries about privacy and such.. spymac is also giving one gig of space in addition to a bunch of other features.. ok.. yes it's primarily for mac users, and it did take almost a week for them to send me my registration email and the webmail portion isn't working yet but the pop mail is functional.. but damn they're really doing it.. check it out..

http://www.spymac.com/network.php?p=tour

100 MB of Web Space
    1000 (1GB) MB E-Mail Account
    Private and Public iCal Hosting
    250 MB of Picture Storage
    Personal Blog, Forum and Gallery
    Customizable Content Tracker
    FTP Access

not bad for free.. got mac ?
    don't need mac.. but some of the features are geared for the mac..

I have never found a free-mail service I liked. I remember when I used to have my website hosted by FatCow, since I never gave my address out to anyone but friends I never received SPAM. Every Free & Pay account I had outside of FatCow that I also never gave out my info on has been plagued with SPAM.

on a side note:
    Are they going to have a commercial featuring G-Unit?

ja ja ja G-Mail... lol

I had to throw that in....

Google might offer option on targeted adds

In the latest from google:
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Internet search company Google Inc. is considering changes to its Gmail e-mail service amid criticism over privacy concerns, the company's president said, the Wall Street Journal said in its online edition.
    But he also said the idea of letting Gmail users opt in or out of the targeted ad service was an idea that "is being batted about. We certainly wouldn't rule it out," the Journal said.
    This is from here
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown