Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to control the volume of a stereo

Banned
    Thread moved & merged. Posting "everywhere" because peaceful talking with your brother is impossible, doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

hacking a stereo....I take it its not network enabled??

I live in a house with people that play music load at stupid hours or the day, if you ignore it I find that It goes away and you learn to sleep over it...

You could get an X10 device to turn it on and off from your computer, but he's likely to see a bit white box in the plug socket...

i2c

hacking a stereo....I take it its not network enabled??

I live in a house with people that play music load at stupid hours or the day, if you ignore it I find that It goes away and you learn to sleep over it...

You could get an X10 device to turn it on and off from your computer, but he's likely to see a bit white box in the plug socket...

i2c

Lightbulb Hacking a Stereo

Okay,

There are several ways to control the volume of a stereo system, but none I can think of using a computer.

However,

The volume knob on a radio is usually just a potentiometer (variable resistor). What you could do is find the wires for the resistor and add either a switch or another resistor. The higher the value of the resistor the quieter it will be. Adding another potentiometer would just add to the personal fun. The only problem is you would need a small hole through the wall for the wires for you to adjust the potentiometer.

Another thing you could do is use a couple of IR boosters. There are a couple of models used for car audio that are fairly small, and you could even feasably use a universal remote co control it through the wall.

These are just suggestions in the event you want to gaslight your brother. Post the Make and Model number in the event you want me to make a diagram.

I just love practical jokes!

Lightbulb Hacking a Stereo

Okay,

There are several ways to control the volume of a stereo system, but none I can think of using a computer.

However,

The volume knob on a radio is usually just a potentiometer (variable resistor). What you could do is find the wires for the resistor and add either a switch or another resistor. The higher the value of the resistor the quieter it will be. Adding another potentiometer would just add to the personal fun. The only problem is you would need a small hole through the wall for the wires for you to adjust the potentiometer.

Another thing you could do is use a couple of IR boosters. There are a couple of models used for car audio that are fairly small, and you could even feasably use a universal remote co control it through the wall.

These are just suggestions in the event you want to gaslight your brother. Post the Make and Model number in the event you want me to make a diagram.

I just love practical jokes!

Originally posted here by i2c
    If an X10 is small enough you could just remove the case and drop it behind the wall socket.

Originally posted here by i2c
    If an X10 is small enough you could just remove the case and drop it behind the wall socket.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    my parents finally got rid of his radio! so problem solved :-) but, yall did give me some good ideas for the future, thanx...
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted