Thread: Need Help to secure my PC.

Question Need Help to secure my PC.

1) I have already installed All the necessary patch for my 2000 WIN OS.

2) I am currently using a Symantec Firewall.

3) I have an Updated Antivirus.

I thought i have done all the neccessary measures to protect my PC.

Knew someone recently from the MIRC and he manage to hack into my system.
    He was able to tell me exactly what file and folder is in my system!

But he refuse to tell me how he got in!

Can anyone tell me how he did it?
    Dictionary Attack or waht????....
    waht other attack could he have launch on me?

I have already scan my system for spyware but there isint any!
    Neither is there any virus!

Originally posted here by novkhan
    Can anyone tell me how he did it?
    Dictionary Attack or waht????....
    waht other attack could he have launch on me?
    Dictionary attacks? If you have some type of server setup for other users then yeah I don't see why someone couldn't brute force thier way into a few things. If you have a FTP or web server then of course he could browse around and see certian things. Also lets see... he could have made you run a few scripts that had some backdoor styled effects in IRC. He could have base64 encoded a executable file then placed it into a webpage, took atvantage of some browser based vulnerabilities, then spamed the URL in the channel. Or just DCC'ed malware over to you and waited for you to run it. It could have been his IRC server and he did a few buffer overflow exploits. Oh man, I could go on and on... or or... wait or... you may have found yourself beleaveing bullshit from some bored 12 year old.

Ummm... ok. First and foremost you need to calm down. I doubt he used a "dictionary attack" because that is for bruteforcing passwords. With somebody already logged in, there is no reason to use that.

Despite your use of a firewall, your firewall is only as good as how you configured it. In this case, you allowed IRC to connect to the outside world and display where you come from (via hostmask). A way to slow somebody down is to use a proxy. Another thing, did you allow DCC or other services? When you allow people to grab files, you open yourself up like any other service. Make sure you get the latest version of mIRC and make sure you do not accept or use services you do not use/need. If you indeed need it and use it, then do your best to protect yourself. Also, maybe you should try another IRC client.. Xchat perhaps?

Lastly, was he able view all your folders because you have open shares? Did you make your whole HDD available for viewing? There are exploits he could have used....

Live and learn.

I have to share my HardDisk coz i need to share files with another PC at home.
    I thought as long as i hav a firewall , eveything wil be fine.
    I will play with the firewall to improve the security!

By the way what and where can i get the proxy you ar talking abt!
    And what does it do?

Originally posted here by novkhan
    I have to share my HardDisk coz i need to share files with another PC at home.
    I thought as long as i hav a firewall , eveything wil be fine.
    I will play with the firewall to improve the security!

By the way what and where can i get the proxy you ar talking abt!
    And what does it do?
    Did he send you to a website that showed your harddrive contents? Or did he actually tell you what was on your harddrive over MIRC? If he sent you to a website that showed your drive contents, then you are most likely ok. Have you opened any attachments from email lately? He might of sent you a trojan via email.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

What a proxy is: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/proxy_server.html

And there is your problem. You need to restrict the shares. You prolly have it readable by everybody. What you can do is have a list of people access the share and nobody else.

Originally posted here by alittlebitnumb
    What a proxy is: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/proxy_server.html

And there is your problem. You need to restrict the shares. You prolly have it readable by everybody. What you can do is have a list of people access the share and nobody else.
    I dun really rem giving him my email address.
    i have open lots of Email Attachment and i make sure i scan them with antivirus everytime!
    My antivirus is Updated.

Ok. I will limit my shares!
    Thanks !