Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer keeps freezing

Computer keeps freezing

I didnt know what topic this should go under...so i put it here

My dads computer has suddenly started freezing...it works for about 2-3 minutes then it freezes....even if i have no programs up...i just used to computer today..and it started doing this...that last time i touched it was sunday ( 4/11/04)....

I have tryed everything./...got ride of all the spyware..all the toolbars..every thing i dont need....and it didnt help...i do hve BEARSHARE....i dont think that caused it

I am begging for help

Thanks
    THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE, YOU HAVE 5 TRIAL USES LEFT

Well, lets start with the basics. Have you tried scanning for errors. or doing a defrag for the HD yet?
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

sniffer,

we'll need to know your operating system, what you were doing just before it started freezing, are the cooling fans working, and anything else you can tell us.

I don't think cooling would be a problem here, from my experience, heating issues usually just cause it to directly shut down.

Also, How much of your HD space have you used?
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

Antionline Herpetologist
    Originally posted here by SirSub
    I don't think cooling would be a problem here, from my experience, heating issues usually just cause it to directly shut down.
    Ummm.... nope. Cooling issues are the number one cause of unpredictable system crashes. Especially if your processor fan is b0rked.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

OK

By "freezes" I am assuming that you mean "locks up", as in nothing happens?..............mouse pointer does nothing? ctrl + alt + del does nothing? hit the num lock & caps lock keys and the lights don't go on and off?

Go into setup..............depending on your machine that will be F1, F2, F10, Delete, Escape (even TAB?) as the machine boots up..............there should be a prompt appear on the screen when you power up.

Go into "power management" turn OFF all power saving options, sleep, snooze and so on. You want it set to be on all the time...............all of it hdds, screen the lot.

Boot machine and go into display options. Turn off wallpaper, screensaver and all power saving options. Computer should be set to "on" all the time.

If it still hangs, ctrl+alt+del and leave it for 10 minutes....................if you can get the pop-up to appear, look for a process flagged as "not responding"..............you might be able to do this after it has booted and before it hangs?

What happens if you boot into safe mode? Does it hang then?

Cheers

EDIT: BUTT....................we need more info:
    1. Operating System
    2. Make/model/motherboard
    3. Memory
    4.Videocard
    5.Processor

My favourites at the moment, pending more info:

1. Power saving features are screwing up
    2. Msgsrv32 not responding
    3. A deadly embrace between two processes
    4. "xxxxxxx" has caused an error in "yyyyy" but it is so confused it cannot shut them down

EDIT #2

Try switching off the AV and firewall.................I hope that you only have one of each running.

Uninstall any trial software that is beyond its trial period

OS is 2000 pro...dont know the mother board...memory is 5000000k or something...HD space left is a few GB (i could have sworn my dads hard drive was 120 Gigs..but it says only 10 gigs..thats a nother question though,i did have it repaired a year ago..maybe it got switched?) Procceser is a pentium III .dont know any of the others

i have not been doing anything before it freezes....its making me mad

by freezes i mean..nothing will open..the toolbar goes 'hollow' (you can see the outline..but nothing inside)...the mouse still moves..i can CTRL ALT DELETE once...but the task manager never opens...its crazy...its never happened before...no expired software is on it...

im begging for help...

THnx
    David

p.s..my AIM screen name is ctrlaltdelete06
    please IM me and help me
    Thnx again

edit<><><><><><><

Well, lets start with the basics. Have you tried scanning for errors. or doing a defrag for the HD yet?
    Would that do anything?....would the new microsoft patch fix it?...how do i check for errors?

sniffer,

we'll need to know your operating system, what you were doing just before it started freezing, are the cooling fans working, and anything else you can tell us.
    thats the thing..i can turn it on..log on..leave the room and not touch it...go back 5 minutes later...and it will be farked up....

Also, How much of your HD space have you used?
    about 2 GB...would that effect it?

Go into setup..............depending on your machine that will be F1, F2, F10, Delete, Escape (even TAB?) as the machine boots up..............there should be a prompt appear on the screen when you power up.

Go into "power management" turn OFF all power saving options, sleep, snooze and so on. You want it set to be on all the time...............all of it hdds, screen the lot.
    this has NEVER happened before!....do i still need to change stuff?....i havent tryed to boot it in safe mode yet...how do i do this ?...F12?

David,

have sworn my dads hard drive was 120 Gigs..but it says only 10 gigs..thats a nother q
    uestion though,
    Not exactly...............it seems that your BIOS has lost contact with reality?

1. Go into setup (yes, you DO have to) and on the first screen tab down to your HDD then go into whatever is "change" and get it to "autodetect" tell me what that does, if anything. I am thinking that 120Gb is rather large for a PIII..............if it has had the bigger drive put in later, the BIOS may not support a drive of that size. You may need to use a tool from the HDD manufacturer's site (something like EZDrive) that will cut in and override your BIOS so it "sees" the big drive?

2. Whilst you are in the BIOS settings do the power saving disable steps I told you. It is not a typical problem with 2k..........more 98 & Millenium, in my experience, but let's get it out of the equation?

I guess that you have 512Mb of RAM.........that would rule resource deficiency out IMHO

To get into safe mode try hitting F8 repeatedly as it boots up, might even be F5 in 2k........I cannot quite remember, and don't have a 2k machine running at the moment...........

I would comment that a machine whose BIOS does not know the true HDD specs is likely to be totally unstable.

I would suggest that we fix that problem first?

I don't use any of that AIM stuff, but there is a PM system on this site.........purple tags at the top of a post...........PM me if you like..............just remember that you have a duty to post the answer back to the thread once we have fixed the problem..........that's how we all learn?

Cheers

Johnno

that seems like a lot to do!....how could the computer go horribly HORRIBLY wrong?

p.s..what do you suspect is wrong with it?

Hey David!

Snap out of it, chill out bro................should only take you 20 minutes maximum, and that is with reading stuff and thinking about it ............it's your first time, so make sure you learn from it huh?

I have been involved with computers for over 30 years, one thing that I have learned is that you have to be systematic, methodical, open-minded and lateral thinking.

It is a bit like detective work in a way..............first eliminate the obvious, then check the most likely..........until you get there?

There could be all sorts of causes.................perhaps whilst installing software you have overwritten something (a system file) with an incompatible version? Or maybe whilst uninstalling, you have deleted a shared file. A power surge could have corrupted things?

I am of the opinion that somehow your BIOS has become disorientated.............so do the BIOS bit first........that will take all of five minutes.

My suspicion is that you have a large HDD that is not recognised by your BIOS......if there are files on it that are beyond the addresses that the BIOS understands, then there is little chance of them being found?

My personal favourite is that there is some sort of problem with the power saving/screensaver, as I have come across that over 50 times............never with Win2k before, but with XP and predecessors.

Across this room from me is an old IBM P300GL, it has a PIII/533 and 512Mb of RAM and boots Win 98se. When I first got it, I was told that it was defective, but I might be able to salvage some parts from it..............It was gifted to me!!!!

I turned off power management, screensaver and stuff and it has worked fine ever since!

I have now updated the BIOS and Win98se, stuck a new video card, DVD, CD rw etc, and it is a rather nice little box. I expect that the power saving will work now

I suggest that we "operate on the patient first, and perform the biopsies later"..........and I am talking biopsy, not autopsy

Go for it!

Cheers

Johnno