Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft

Akami is on my computer, at earthlink.net. I see it every time I go and check my mail there. This comes up as a248.akami.net.
    If you are trying to visit this site, and you get another akami, this might be a browser hijack, or another effect of adware. Doesn't specifically mean the akami is responsible for this either.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

this has a program called hijack this... if you click scan, save the log, and post the results here, we can get enough information to help you out with your problem.

But I really don't think I understand the problem.

Lumpy: I thank you for your kind post. Mr. Jinx got me kind of upset and all my remarks were posted to him. I went to the site and emailed akamai. I do not know if it will do any good. I am sorry if you thought the remarks were directed at you. I just saw Jinx's post at the time and I immediately replied. I do hope that there are not too many like him here. I am new to this forum and it looks like a good forum. Thank you again for your post and hope to meet you again.

Soda: I have ran I do not know how many "Highjack This" logs. It is not on there. I just upgraded to XP and these three companies came with me. I started without any transferred programs. I just started all over again. My computer is now better then when I first got it. I have just about every security program on my puter. I do not download unless I know the site is clean and secure-like Wilders, spybot, computer forums, etc.

Speaking of unsafe sites. Have you ever heard of "Fresh Devices?" I was told that this was a safe site and a good place to get some tools. They advertised for a fast downloader, so I bit and downloaded it. Wound up with three parasites and weatherbug. I have heard so much of pro and cons about weatherbug, that my judgement is still out on it. Everyone else I have talked to, except one, about Fresh devices have told me they are a good company. The one that agreed with me had also downloaded the accelerator. It just might be that one program. Thanks again for emailing me.

My rule is don't download "download accelerators", as they are extremely common on computers I fix with adware problems, as is weatherbug. Take my advice, post the log! Just scanning with it won't do anything, you have to use it yourself. But the nature of HJT isn't friendly, it's best to review it with others.

Do us a favor, and be more specific. What security programs do you speak of? Have you used ad aware? You can get that at download.com, as well as spybot s&d.
    How are you detecting these programs? You still haven't told us... all I know is that they are just "there".

But it sounds like you did a system restore already, so I guess you pretty much nuked the problem, just like tech support would want.

Weather Bug is infamose as spyware, but you had to agree to let it load. When you downloaded something, in the licencing agreement you agree to it would have been listed as a suplimental program that helps support the original 'free' program you downloaded.
    Luckily, you can also easily remove it by using your 'add & remove' programs in your control panel.
    If you just upgraded to XP and didn't reformate as part of the process, then you carried all the problems you had on your old os with you. When just upgrading you don't lose data or files.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Fresh Devices website and programs are free from spyware and viruses. I just downloaded the programs and checked them out. As for your weatherbug and stuff, I have no idea where you could have picked those up from. They could have been bundles with a different program you had though.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

txsidewinder1

Hi, to get back to your original post, I have encountered akamai many times over the past few years. I do not have any details on them, but I have never come to any harm as a result (and I am sure that several members on this forum will vouch for my paranoia )

As I see them they provide a sort of "extra resource" as I only come across them when I am downloading updates, trial versions etc.

I have never given them much thought, as I have never had any problems, but I looked on them as something like a store at Christmas.............you call the agency and they supply you with extra staff, so you don't have to employ them all year. Akamai seem to do the same with server space/bandwidth?

Having said that, they are not responsible for what their customers do, and you need to be sure that it is really them and not a spoof?

Like I said I am paranoid

Cheers

here is somthing you might be interested in..
    its kinda realted to your issue...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...light=stunning

Originally posted here by txsidewinder1
    Lumpy: I thank you for your kind post. Mr. Jinx got me kind of upset and all my remarks were posted to him. I went to the site and emailed akamai. I do not know if it will do any good. I am sorry if you thought the remarks were directed at you. I just saw Jinx's post at the time and I immediately replied. I do hope that there are not too many like him here. I am new to this forum and it looks like a good forum. Thank you again for your post and hope to meet you again.
    You hope not many here are like him? we need MORE like him. He is very intelligent and knows what he is talking about, and has helped a lot of people here. If you are new here, get a sence of humor. as others said your post could have been a bit more specific. It was kind of hard to tell what exactly you meant....Then again I was tired when I read it.

i take txsidewinder1's side. we are here to have a better understanding of security not make fun of someone to whom you can't understand.... i don't care if Jinx has helps lots of people... i would chose an intermediate who has a good attitude to help me, over an intelegent rude person...

as far as those who diserve to be here. only those who are willing to learn and teach should be here.
    if your here to make fun of people for trying to learn, your in the wrong place