Thread: Is it rue that Rh9 is so safe that we dun even need to have Anivirus?

Question Is it rue that Rh9 is so safe that we dun even need to have Anivirus?

Gooday?

Heard that there are so few virus attacking RH9 that basically we dun have to worry abt getting a Antivirus! Is taht true?

By the way is there anyone that can recommend a Good Free Antivirus for RH9!

And could anyone teach me how to cofigure a Firewall o my RH9, cos i have heard that RH9 have Buildin Fiewall!

Please explain in Detail coz i am veri new to Linux!

Thankyou!
    Will to Learn
    javascript:myimagepopup(300,400,\'\')

Though linux virus are not as mainstream as windows ones, you should still take precautions. i am big fan of ClamAV (http://www.clamav.net) it does the job. If you want something to setup a real simple personal linux firewall, try getting firestarter of sourceforge.net. Pretty easy to configure, and gui.

ps keep in mind that RH is no longer going to be supported, unless you get the application or enterprise server editions. This means no more security updates to linux enthusiasts.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Originally posted here by kr5kernel
    Though linux virus are not as mainstream as windows ones, you should still take precautions. i am big fan of ClamAV (http://www.clamav.net) it does the job. If you want something to setup a real simple personal linux firewall, try getting firestarter of sourceforge.net. Pretty easy to configure, and gui.

ps keep in mind that RH is no longer going to be supported, unless you get the application or enterprise server editions. This means no more security updates to linux enthusiasts.
    Than i better be gettin my Update Fast!
    where can get it?
    Will to Learn
    javascript:myimagepopup(300,400,\'\')

Redhat is pushing people to get fedora core, or purchase their 'server' lines of linux. You can download Fedora @ Fedora.redhat.com

Fedora is the continuation of the 'free' redhat movement. I believe it is May 1 when Redhat 9 will no longer offer security updates, but Fedora will continue on where redhat left off. ClamAV is independent of all this so if you were wondering about ClamAV updates, they will be around for a while.

Google stuff like up2date, apt-get, and yum for info about automatic updates for either distribution.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

My answer would be "no, but you are not far off"...............Pooh has given you an excellent explanation

My contribution is that there are so few "viruses" that linux is relatively safe, however there are a greater number of exploits.

What you have to ask yourself is what connectivity and interactivity you have. The only linux AVs that I have seen, spend most of their time looking for windows viruses, so that they don't get passed on to another windows system. In that respect, using a linux box as a filter might be a good idea, as I have not seen a virus that could shut down windows virus detecting AV running on a linux box?

Just a thought

Cheers