Thread: Windows question..

Question Windows question..

I don't know if this has been posted before if so, sorry. I didn't know what to type in the search box. Well, how do I restore a computer to the previous day (for example) or previous week. Is this like a feature intergrated in Windows NT? Because I have Windows 2000 professional, not really sure if it's avaliable for Windows 2000 professional. Thanks
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Windows ME and XP have a restore feature, but 2000 does not. There are 3rd party applications that you can use to make a ghost image of your drive, that would allow you to be able to replace the original with.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I don't understand Microsoft then, if I'm not mistaken ME was made before 2000 and XP after 2000 so why did they decide that restore feature shouldn't be put in 2000 :/ There's no understanding Microsoft there really isn't.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I don't understand Microsoft then, if I'm not mistaken ME was made before 2000 and XP after 2000 so why did they decide that restore feature shouldn't be put in 2000 :/ There's no understanding Microsoft there really isn't.
    I'm with you on that one. I *believe* that ME and 2k were relseased at about the same time.

ME is just the home version, 2k is the professional version?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I believe that there are actually two versions of 2000 phish. Similiear to XP.
    One is just Windows 2000 and the other is Windows 2000 professional.

I could be wrong on that though.

I always though that ME was released just a bit after 2000.
    =

Hi Guys,

My decoder ring bleeped me..............."old fart needed"

Back in the days when I was young and handsome (and you had to watch out for dinosaur turds on the sidewalk/pavement) there was Win 3.x This was basically a commercial system, because computers were very expensive, modems ran at 9600 or 14400 Baud, and so on.

The came the "Great M$ Schism" They developed Win95 and Win NT (4.0) This was the end of the 486 era, start of the PI, and "home computing" as we know it was just about to start. Sure there had been games and educational machines and people like Tandy (Radio Shack) and Amstrad had brought prices of "real" computers way down.

M$ saw a domestic market, but still wanting to rip off its commercial user market, decided to split its product base. This gave us the 9x family of Windows, that ended with Millenium Edition.

The restore feature was intended to help computer illiterate home users get their systems back quickly. Commercial networked systems did not need that because good guys like ourselves did daily backups etc. Similarly USB was for home users not commercial ones?

The last point at which this was true was Win2k (actually NT5) and Millenium Edition.

Then came XP.....there is a "home" and a "professional" edition, the difference being the networking support (just like Win 3.10 v's Win 3.11)

AFAIK because Windows 2000 is a commercial offering, it is all called "professional".........you have:

1.workstation
    2.server
    3.advanced server

Those are the only varietals that I am aware of.

I think that is pretty much correct?

Cheers

Well you're 100% correct nihil I guess a company would in fact make backup copies but they're still some people who use Windows 2000 for home computers (can't install XP because my CD-RW burner doesn't support XP, and not about to switch to ME..too buggy.) and don't have time to make backups and would be much easier using this feature which is something Microsoft should've taken into consideration because if I'm not mistaken there is a Windows 2000 AND a Windows 2000 Professional (and of course Windows 2000 server and all the others). I think Windows 2000 was intended for home users and the others for a buisness. But that feature still wasn't intergrated in Windows 2000.
    /me calls up Microsoft