Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: proxy

proxy

What is the point of a proxy if the proxy logs your IP.... Is there a proxy (or something better than a proxy) that doesnty log your IP?

Is there a proxy (or something better than a proxy) that doesnty log your IP?
    yep. its called the "sneakernet". it used to be really big about a dozen years ago.
    you should really check it out.

Why do you need to hide your IP?

A proxy is really supposed to be used for web cache and web filtering.
    It makes corp internet connections just a wee bit faster. And, they give the admins more control.

A server that sits between a client application, such as a Web browser, and a real server. It intercepts all requests to the real server to see if it can fulfill the requests itself. If not, it forwards the request to the real server.
    http://www.pcwebopedia.com/TERM/p/proxy_server.html

I know that they can be used for "annonymous" access.. but how annonymous is it if they are logging you?
    you're only annonymous to the sites your visiting.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Not really,

If you don't have an IP address your conversations will be all one way, in fact, because the two machines need to establish contact first, there won't be any conversation at all?

That is a pretty crude analysis of the situation regarding normal internet browsing/use.

Being secure, is a different issue.

Cheers

EDIT: sorry I didn't answer the first part of your question. The proxy logs your IP but anyone beyond that only gets the proxy IP not yours, so they don't know who you are, and can only contact you through the proxy. Could be useful security if you have a static IP address?

HA! phish~ beat me to it

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man

Re: proxy

Originally posted here by mfo6463
    What is the point of a proxy if the proxy logs your IP.... Is there a proxy (or something better than a proxy) that doesnty log your IP?

Well, even though that proxy logs your IP, doesnt mean thats what the packets are from. When your going through a proxy your packets will have the source address of the proxy. So unless you plan on hacking fbi.gov, or somthing dirty, there will be no problems. However at that point the FBI/SS will subpeona the ISP of the proxie for the logs. And then knock on your door.

To comment on your original statment; there are many legitimate uses for a proxy other than the old "How can I Hide My IP".
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

AFLAAACKKK!!
    You could always proxy chain...what of the proxies are bound to erase their logs by the time the fbi gets there...right?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

what of the proxies are bound to erase their logs by the time the fbi gets there...right?
    Not necessarily...and even if they do erase the logs, there are still other ways to trace packets.

If you think you are going to get away with harassing someone via email, be prepared to get caught. (I'm not talking about you specifically, Duck) If your emails are serious enough to generate an interest, they will find you eventually. Count on it.

I am sure that groovicus and myself have contibuted to threads where this has been discussed before?

Sometimes it is better to hide "in plain sight".............if you act furtively, you act suspiciously, and draw attention to yourself by so doing?

And if you really want a list of the pr0n sites you have been browsing, let me know, and I will arrange for a USSS special agent to bring it round to you

Good luck

Originally posted here by The Duck
    You could always proxy chain...what of the proxies are bound to erase their logs by the time the fbi gets there...right?
    Where can I get a proxy chain? Can I use telnet with the proxy chain?

edit: Also, is there any way someone can trace through all of the proxies with out having to be there?

http://forums.free2code.net/view.php?tid=14569

This should help you on your way...

And to repeat myself, givien enough time and inclination, anybody can be tracked... all you can do is make it harder...

Just a friendly bit of advice...you might want to search a little. It's obvious by the questions you're asking that this is a new topic for you, and it's going to get you in trouble, as you can already attest to by the neg ap's you have received.

I think you are trying to ask one of several questions, and I'm not sure which one it is yet.

Can I surf anonymously without being traced? No.
    Can I hack into someones computer without the activity being traced back to me? No.
    Can I send emails that piss people off and maybe threaten them without getting traced? No

If you are just trying to learn about proxies, I would suggest your approach is entirely wrong. The way you have stated your questions makes it look like you are a wanna-be skiddie looking for some tool that will allow you to misbehave without fear of recrimination. There is no "easy" way to learn this stuff.

If I were you and I wanted to learn about proxies, I would use whatever search engine I prefer and do searches for 'proxies' , 'proxy chaining', etc. and read everything I could find. There is a slim chance that you will be able to craft your searches well enough that you may be able to find an app that will help you along your way.

A word of caution about sites that have apps (or appz) like those... while you are there, they might just plant a 'bot, or trojan, or some other nasty bit of malware on your computer unbeknownst to you... in which case you might learn cool new words like 'open relay' and 'zombie'..(and "F.B.I...open up!! ) ..make sure you know how to secure your computer to prevent yourself from being infected, which is really what AO is all about anyway.

Yes, this is a new topic for me. I am trying to learn about computer security, and I read that people hack using proxies, so I decided to learn more about those. Even if I did want to hack someone, I wouldn't even try without knowing a lot about it.