Thread: What is a Proxy?

What is a Proxy?

I am just another fresh IT guywho works in the company who mantains the network.
    One day there was this internet connection failure thingy,
    So all I did is check for the IP, Connection and Stuff.

Till, one of the guy call me to try the PROXY and I was like
    “ Huh?.. how to try the Proxy?”

I was than humiliated for not knowing what is a proxy!

I noe what is a Proxy Server !
    A server that sits between a client application, such as a Web browser, and a real server. It intercepts all requests to the real server to see if it can fulfill the requests itself. If not, it forwards the request to the real server

But what is a PROXY?
    And how to set the Proxy?

Thankyou!
    Will to Learn
    javascript:myimagepopup(300,400,\'\')

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=256895

He was most likely asking you to see if the internet worked.

Most employers will have a proxy. This can be transparent (no config on client needed) or it can be non-transparent. Where a browser and other apps have to be configured to use a server and other ports to use the services.

So, in this case... most likely all you had to do was see if you could get to the internet.

If you look in your browser settings under connection, you'll see options for the proxy.

In IE, its toole, internet options, connection, lan settings, proxy

Specifying the type of local area network (LAN) connection
    Use the Proxy Server screen to specify whether your LAN uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet. A proxy server is a computer on your LAN that connects to the Internet without compromising the security of your internal network. If you are not sure how your LAN connects to the Internet, contact your system administrator. Do one of the following:

If your LAN uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet, click Yes, and then click Next. If you choose this option, you need to provide the wizard with the following information:
    Names and ports of the proxy servers your LAN uses to connect to the Internet.
    Internet addresses you want to connect to without using a proxy server. For example, you might not want to use the proxy server to contact other computers on your LAN.
    If your LAN does not use a proxy server and is directly connected to the Internet, click No, and then click Next.
    thats from IE's help file.

If there is no config under your proxy, then you are most likey transparent.

Each application will have their own config too. (if you're not setup transparent)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.