Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need to contact a security expert for project

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=...r:regT:1:fbT:0

http://sunrise.nclack.k12.or.us/

so your a girl in the 8th grade... that narrows it down by half...

Get the point yet? NEVER volunteer information.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Hey how about we relax for a second here . info_seeker, I'd love to help you but my experience in security is not that broad, hence i'm not of any use. Private Message some of the members here and see if they're willing to spend some time with you. Check out who's written the most tutorials on security and find out who you want to contact.

Sorry if the behaviour of some of the members seemed a bit rude, but you need to understand that some of the information that pertains to security cannot be shared publicly or privately, as Nihil said.

I'm confident we can provide you with some superficial information, without getting into the "messy" details and still provide enough information for you to complete your project.

You should also google around for some of that information.

Here's some stuff you can read over before you interview someone, and prehaps it will give you some ideas on what to ask:

http://www.landfield.com/isn/mail-ar.../Dec/0043.html

http://www.secureflorida.org/index.p...ndocs&link=FAQ

http://www.aetc.randolph.af.mil/pa/a...002/02-367.htm

http://cactus.eas.asu.edu/partha/Col...rterrorism.htm

http://asisitsc.i8.com/library/cyberterr.html

http://www.publictechnology.net/modu...rticle&sid=580

http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/ISTS/c...eparedness.htm

I hope these help you out.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Im confused, I mean, what kind of info do we need to hide? I dont understand why some things cant be discussed legally. I mean, its not like any of us are top secret government agents right? or are we? lol
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The question isn't what can be discussed legally but rather what can be discussed responsibly and sensibly.

What might sound like an innocuous comment or peice of information today could become very important tomorrow. So posting your home address here today mught be just fine.... But when you piss off someone tomorrow your home address is there for him to see, and information tends to hang around on the internet longer than we might like.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Cybr1d

Sorry if the behaviour of some of the members seemed a bit rude, but you need to understand that some of the information that pertains to security cannot be shared publicly or privately, as Nihil said.

*chuckles politely* Rude? Hardly. Its a sick world we live in. Social engineering runs rampant.
    This information gained in a blind interview could be exploited... heres a example:

Lets say I love making explosive devices. Now, while we all know that explosive devices can be used for constructive purposes, such as blasting for construction or demo, but they have the obvious bad uses too... so you come to me and ask how I go about building said device, and bat your cyber-eyes and tell me how your a sweet innocent 8th grader, (and a GIRL even)
    *roll* and lets say I fall for it. ("awwww what harm could come from it") granted, this would be VERY irresponible... but... SOME people out there are hormonally challenged. So I spill a technique on how to make the explosive device. You turn around and use said explosive device to exact revenge on someone who stole your lunch money. (sarcasm, and farfetched, its a example, laugh) And lets say that I have a particular technique that is not well known but oddly effective. But they arrest you, and during questioning on where EXACTLY you learned to build a explosive device at your age... you, now under the proverbial thumb, point your lil finger at me.

What just happened? sensitive information was allowed into the wrong hands. The wrong hands used sensitive information to create a problem/do something less than legal or ethical, and when questioned how said person learned it, fingered the person who allowed the sensitive info out.

Whats the worst that can happen to "me"? well given the scenario, and the fact I am in the united states, and bound by the laws here, Id prolly be considered a accessory to the crime.
    Again, this is far fetched. its supposed to be, but its a very real example to be applied to whats being asked here. Note the "Im in a real hurry, so tell me now" urgency?
    Get backup/verification first. you have the school info, contact the prinicpal, ask.

now onto YOU, young lady.
    You need to respect the net more. there are a lot of sick people here who will prey on your young and "innocent" mind. People will try to take advantage of the information at thier fingertips. Hackers, by rep alone, are not the most woman-savvy creatures. (Relax guys, not ALL of us, but some arent) and some of them are damn well desperate. If you live in a security world, you see the element you are protecting against all the time.

Bottom line is, when someone suggests the PM system its because they dont want you to broadcast to the THOUSANDS of eyes that hit this page, personal info.

Even then, be careful who you share this information with. Your best bet is to leave your name out of it. the links to your school provide a number, and Im sure the needed validation could be made that way.

Nuff said.

(and remember guys, "she" is supposedly in the 8th grade....)
    Remember -

Im confused, I mean, what kind of info do we need to hide? I dont understand why some things cant be discussed legally
    Have you never heard of a "gagging order", or "sub judice"..............start mouthing off about that sort of stuff in public and you will get spanked for contempt of court. And if there is any money involved...sued right onto the welfare line?

If you work in the public sector (government & military) you are subject to quite specific laws regarding "official secrets"..............you discuss those very much at your own risk. In my time I have seen two people get 11 years each for attempting to divulge military secrets to unauthorised persons (shame the "unauthorised persons" were MI5 officers.............errr British counter-intelligence to you ) For the serious stuff you could get 30 years or more (I stand open to correction, but I believe that the British record currently stands at 42 years)

At the very best you will be unemployed and UNEMPLOYABLE?

What I am saying is that though we are generally at liberty to discuss generics, what ifs and the like we are not at liberty to discuss specifics............like the location of the Claymore mines at Area52

Hey, if you work for a major corporation I bet there is a clause in your contract that forbids you to give interviews or talk to the press without clearing it first?

That is what we are talking about.

(and remember guys, "she" is supposedly in the 8th grade....)
    I thought I was paranoid

We need some videoconferencing goin on here, so we know who we talking to, and that we dont have some 50 year old russian spy impressionating a 15 y/o girl from oregon ...j/k

cheers

/sarcasm

I've been social engineering all of you, secretly keeping logs of what EVERY single one of you, your thinking patterns and have discovered the exact location where you all live. Actually i'm not a 20 year old college student majoring in Computer Networking and Information Systems. I'm not continuing my education in Computer Forensics and I do not have my own Counter-STrike Clan with Cheyenne, and Jarrod, who are 2 other members from here. I'm in fact, a Zimbabwe spy, who has finished his mission. Soon we with the information learned from here, we will take over the world, and make Bill Gates Emperor of the Micro-World. You will all bow down to us. MUHAHHAHAHAH, MUHAHAHHAHA, MUHAHAHAHHAHAH, errr...MUHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

/end sarcasm

*shrug* wouldnt be the first time Ive seen it happen. wont be the last time.
    *pssst* I have a pair of ethernet-vision glasses for sale... *roll*
    *grin*
    Remember -

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    How about posting the questionaire....

If what you say is true I doubt there will be much in there that could cause harm.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

AFLAAACKKK!!
    What topics would you consider legal and illegal?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools