Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thumb drive recovery

thumb drive recovery

has anyone seen a tool to recover the info left on a thumb drive after it has been deleted? At first i assumed that i could simply mount it as a disk and recover using the normal tools but that does not seem to be the case. I assume that this is due to the memeroy being used in them. Does anybody know if it is simply volatile memory with a battery or if is an actual hard disc or what. I did some googling but turn up very little that is useful.
    chown -r us ./bases

The answer to your first question is: maybe

I know that there is software available to recover files deleted on multimedia memories.. ie SD, MMC, CF, mem stick and xd (well that is what I remeber the documentation saying)

the thumb drives are not a mechanical drive.. they are a flash memory.. as such a program that reads rthe raw data out of the memory and assembles is all that is needed ..

Found it:

The program I was thinking about-but may not be exactly what you are after is "Digital Image Recovery" or DIR by Alexander Grau.
    NEW! Digital Image Recovery...
    What is the program 'Digital Image Recovery'?
    Digital Image Recovery is a data recovery tool for digital images. The program is designed for media used by digital cameras. Common media types are:

Flash Card™, SmartMedia™, SONY Memory Stick™, IBM™ Micro Drive, Multimedia Card, Secure Digital Card and Compact disc.
    I seem to have lost the url's for this one.. but do a search on Drive rescue or driverescue..

sry about not having the url

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

you mean this website here Und3rtak3r?

http://63.141.194.5/dir/

looks interesting though thanks!
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

this looks like it is more aimed at digital cameras but i will try it and see
    chown -r us ./bases

yes mnchur you are correct.. i suspect that this prog are looking on the media for specific signatures of the nominated files..

The Usb memory drives that I have used have all registered as being formated under the FAT32 file system.. so when the file is deleted its entry is removed from the TOC (forgive e for using a CDFS term)the file wuld still remain in the memory untill over written.. much like what happens on theHDD.. just its referance is removed.. my thought that these progs wcould be a start.. But I am looking.. I too have deleted files on USB drives and thought it would be nice to get them back..

I will report back what i find...

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Another approach might be to use a tool like

"Unstoppable Copier" by Roadkil

If you have the USB drive mirrored on your HDD you can use one of dozens of tools to retrieve your data.

Just a thought?

EDIT: Just had a look at my digital camaera software and binoculars software.............they have recovery tools, but I think that they are looking for specific files and for an SD card or whatever.

Do you know anyone with a nice expensive boxed USB drive that came with a CD? there might be some recovery software on that? seems like the kind of thing they might include to justify the price?

i have the cd that came with mine but no tools for recovery could be found on it..
    chown -r us ./bases

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    What OS are you using?

What was used to delete the files?

Have you tried norton disk doctor on it?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

im running suse 9.0 with kde 3.2 and kernel 2.6......i used a normal delete command to get rid of the files..i have not tried norton disk doctor but i will tonite when i get a chance
    chown -r us ./bases

Hmm,

A usb drive should be running FAT32, have you connected it to a windows machine?..........be careful, don't do it at work or the library/internet cafe without getting the OK first...........some people are rather sensitive about external devices being attached to their kit!

A lot of recovery tools will only run under windows.

Cheers