Thread: Heads up

Heads up

I was just using my Windows XP machine to browse for the lyrics to Blanks 77 - Punks not dead.

Now this in itself has nothing to do with anti virii, but the fact that I went to a web site I found while looking for the lyrics to this song, and had AVG pop up saying I was now the proud owner of a trojan in my temp internet files....That DOEs have something to do with it.

The website was something like http://www.plyrics.com or something like that.

Ahh found it:

http://www.plyrics.com/b/blanks77.html

It seems to be called secThought.E

Any ideas of how this happens?

At first I figured spyware or something, but AVG says a Trojan.

I was using IE, I have all patches installed, I have anti virii and firewalls... Heh, damned lyrics pages.

Hey Hey,

*hangs his head in shame* Our Famous gore caught because he's got Active X enabled. I expected more of you old friend. A google search of SecThought.E doesn't bring up much, and none of the major Virus Encyclopedias have anything listed. However there are some forums returned from a google search for SecThought that mention SecThought A through D and removal instructions. Seems like it can be a pesky little bugger for some people.

Google Here

Peace,
    HT

tisk! tisk! tisk!

:-(
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Have you thought about sending it to Symantec?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Wow, www.norton.com didnt even find anything. Usually they are a decent source when it comes to getting info on trojans and the like. You must have gotten one hot of the press if ya know what I mean
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

you wont find too much at the major av companys. this is an adware downloader. adware is somehow considered legal and listing their "marketing reseach tools" as a trojan can get them sued (wimps) looks like AVG got a set of big ones. kudos to AVG
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

he he.... well symantec corporate 9.0 (scheduled for release beginning of next month I beleive) supposedly will have built in spyware detection/removal. Perhaps a submission to them would kick them in the pants to set it up in the first round of intelligent updates...

oh yeah, active X..... for shame gore, for shame....
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Yea, that's what I get for not booting up a Windows box in weeks and then updating and getting some work done while listening to punk rock.