Thread: any tips on how to protect macros?

Arrow any tips on how to protect macros?

well, you i have been into sleepless nights during uncounted days having to spin my head what da . ... should i do to make THE THING possible.

i am creating a VB information system and it is almost done except for some minor problems that i could not do with my own self. I am using MS Excel as a reporting tool for the reports instead of crystal report because i had the convenience of doing so. now i had the code hardcoded in Macros format but the problem is, the coded is editable when one opens the vba macro editor that all MS applications have. and from then on, God knows what might happen to the codes if someone would dare edit it. so could i make my macros uneditable.

I've have seen one Excel template, the macros are protected by password. yet i could not figure out how was it done and only know for sure why it is done... to hide away the codes from me.... hehe

hope to here from you masters....

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Protect the workbook with a password?
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

thanks but i did try that idea but macros are still editable during that state.

Hi,

I am more of an Access type, but your macros should be a "project" and you can password protect the "project"

Incidentally, it would help if you said which version of MS Office/Excel you are using

Cheers

Regal Making Handler
    This is one way from within vb editor click>>tools>>Vba project properties>>Protection.

Does this help??

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Talking

This is one way from within vb editor click>>tools>>Vba project properties>>Protection.
    nice way jinxy. i tried it and it kinda worked. yet i still have to try wreck it just to test if still anomalies could be done to screw the codes up. thank you guys.

by the way, nihil, i used Access as my back-end database. could i refer to you for some problems i might encounter on my next project.

coz (hopefully) the next project is a web based inventory system and i planned to use ASP for it and stil use Access as the back-end. is it a good idea to use Access as a back-end database of ASP? or the SQL server 2000 instead.

more power
    [pong]i will always be a servant to my masters.[/pong]

Hi,

I use Access and Excel as tools of convenience, for disposable systems or for prototyping. For serious stuff I would recommend SQL DB..................but if you only have a small number of users, that is massive overkill........I would need to know a lot more about the business requirements to give you a professional answer there.

Please feel free to PM me about it...........and send your Access tool with one test data item in it...........I will check if it can be broken, and let you have my opinion of the probability in a real world environment. Just sanitise out names and stuff

Cheers