Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Lockdown

Lightbulb Desktop Lockdown

Being the system admin at a local private school (k-8) I have recently removed many features (like setting an image as wallpaper from explorer) by changing the regestry. I have decieded to further lock down the desktop so that students can no longer change the icons or rename them. I would also like to remove the ability to access the right click menu.

Does anyone know the reg keys I should be looking at or can anyone point me to a tutorial where I can find the information I'm seeking?

Thank You!

What OS are you using?

Win 2000 Pro... thanks for the quick response

Until someone points you to a better site, here's one I muck around in once in a while:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/refdesk/default.htm

It might have one or two things to help.

Someone recently posted the Active Directory setup that the NSA uses...I cant find the post at the moment, But it was posted just a day or two ago. If people in the NSA can't screw stuff up, it should at least give some of the students a run for their money....Happy Policying!
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

here is somthing for you to look at, it should have everything you need

its about creating a secure workstation for public access

NSA Guidelines

The NSA posts a bunch of security configuration guidelines on their site for Windows XP, Windows 2000, Cisco routers, and some others. They are well worth the read. You can find them here. Two that are probably the ones this poster are looking for are the Group Policy Reference and the Guide to Securing Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory.

Originally posted here by kr5kernel
    Someone recently posted the Active Directory setup that the NSA uses...I cant find the post at the moment, But it was posted just a day or two ago. If people in the NSA can't screw stuff up, it should at least give some of the students a run for their money....Happy Policying!

Cool Re: Desktop Lockdown

Originally posted here by unonthedl
    Being the system admin at a local private school (k-8) I have recently removed many features (like setting an image as wallpaper from explorer) by changing the regestry. I have decieded to further lock down the desktop so that students can no longer change the icons or rename them. I would also like to remove the ability to access the right click menu.

Does anyone know the reg keys I should be looking at or can anyone point me to a tutorial where I can find the information I'm seeking?

Thank You!
    You could try dis-abling the Net Send command in the MS-DOS prompt. It is very annoying when the kids start sending messeges to peoples screens and to the whole network of Pc's at once. Just a thought.
    TRINITY IS COOL........
    http://pub2.ezboard.com/btrinityland
    (C++ Novice)

At my school they got rid of commands that delete and rename files. They also have a program called Fortres, and it took me about 3 months to learn to get rid of it.