Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ultimate security for my computer

?!?? securing windows OS??? kinda hard to do well just one thing to share to you learn the linux OS coz first of all linux OS or Unix OS has a greater security than windows...if your using a box that runs window OS and trying it tosecure it you'll be needing a hell lot of this and that etc... but if you use linux /unix you'll just configured it properly and use some free downloadable program that can help you a real programmer OS , learn to use linux you'll find the difference..

ok its 5 in the morning and I cant sleep...but if this was mentioned before, sorry. Another good way to really seal off your computer is to keep it disconnected from the internet. Just dont connect online...end of story, that will eliminate most of your issues, and save you some money each month.

Smile

Like some of the other previous members mentioned you must study first in order to know how to really secure your system. Since I'm a bookworm, a book that I would suggest buying and reading that would be good for a beginner is "Steal This Computer Book 3 , by wallace wang ." The book I mentioned pretty much goes over the more general things about what to watch out for especially when using the internet since that's what computers are used mostly for. Your not just protecting your computer, your protecting yourself. It also will help provide you with great links to visit which will help you explore. General information is always good to have since you know a little about everything. Once you know what dangers to look out for, your level of paranoia is what eventually will determine the security of your computer.

Originally posted here by Sgear17
    ?!?? securing windows OS??? kinda hard to do well just one thing to share to you learn the linux OS coz first of all linux OS or Unix OS has a greater security than windows...if your using a box that runs window OS and trying it tosecure it you'll be needing a hell lot of this and that etc... but if you use linux /unix you'll just configured it properly and use some free downloadable program that can help you a real programmer OS , learn to use linux you'll find the difference..
    Did you not read what I had posted up? And how can you say a OS alone is more secure than another then turn around and say that in order to be secure you must configure things properly... thats so stupid. So mainly its up to the user correct? So in other words you've basicly just repeated what I said about how a OS alone won't do jack-crap for you security wise only you've added parts that counter your own statements.

Sgear17,

You obviously haven't done your homework and will probably need to keep a fire extinguisher handy for the flames. I would highly recommend you search this site about securing OS's. Although opinions are great, the facts differ in this particular case.

The best security practices encompass a layered defense. Think of dropping the soap in a prision shower, if you don't know how to pick it up without bending over and if you don't have a butt plate in place......?

Originally posted here by Sgear17
    ?!?? securing windows OS??? kinda hard to do well just one thing to share to you learn the linux OS coz first of all linux OS or Unix OS has a greater security than windows
    I couldn't disagree more. Windows ACLs are much better for file-level security than the Linux user/group method. Yes, Linux now has ACLs, but a great many people don't even know that. Your average user can manage to turn on/off file permissions and auditing in Windows, but how many average users can manage Linux ACLs?

I'm currently mentoring a class for SANS, and three of the students in my class work for a DoD contractor securing Windows desktops. They edit file permissions and audit settings with a HEX EDITOR!! There is no doubt in my mind those machines are locked down tight, much tighter than most production-level Linux servers that I've seen.

I love Linux, and am even an RHCT. I run Gentoo, Mandrake, and Redhat at work, and do everything I can to help Linux progress in the desktop market. However, to automatically assume that Linux is more secure than Windows is flawed. It depends on the application, and who is securing the desktop.