Hey all, I acquired a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router and a wireless card today...Seeing as though I moved my room upstairs and my dad doesn't feel like running 100 ft of rj45 up there, i decided to go wireless..I got everything up and running, went upstairs installed the drivers for my wireless card boom done..Then it tells me there is no signal..Easy solution, i accidentally forgot to open the door from the actual room where the connection is being broadcasted..The signal gets a little better, but it gets rated as 'very poor', and runs at like 2mbps which made me mad...Question 1: should i buy a better signal carrier ?
I've been doing my homework as far as wireless security goes, but i don't understand wep as well as i should. It asks me to generate a passphrase, i do so and it gives me four keys..And when wep is enabled, on my other machine i try to get in and it asks me for a key..from which of these keys do i use to let myself in the network ? Please excuse me, I am just entering the wireless realm, and am willing to do plenty of homework to comprehend its securities and insecurities.. thank you