Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless: a new approach for me

moxnix > I was kind of hoping that you had an antenna that could push a signal 1,000 feet through walls, I could use one of those antennas. Best option I have found to do is use uni-directional pringles can antennas on host and client, main problem being the uni-directional part.

Originally posted here by The3ntropy
    moxnix > I was kind of hoping that you had an antenna that could push a signal 1,000 feet through walls, I could use one of those antennas. Best option I have found to do is use uni-directional pringles can antennas on host and client, main problem being the uni-directional part.
    Sorry, but I have seen antenas that are suppose to be able to do something similar......but they are quite spendy....like $2500 a copy or so. I was surfing around and came accross one site where they said they would wire and set up any facility for 100% coverage extending virtually anywhere you wanted......and to limit where you didn't want the signals to reach. Now I will bet you that their service is real spendy, and of course they weren't quoteing any prices.
    Best option I have found to do is use uni-directional pringles can antennas
    I made a parabolic antenna one time using a metal salad bowl......it wasn't very good and splattered signal all over the place (not a true parabolic), but I did get a signal increase at the receiver (11 meters....lol)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

The two pringles cans that I have hooked up now both have about a 9dB gain on each. ( 8 times the listening and sending power for client and host ) The cans are just hooked up through a pcmcia orinoco gold card off my laptop and wap just like any antenna. Broadcast power is almost a mile with a visual line of sight but can't get much more than 500-700 feet through walls.

Regal Making Handler
    Not alot you can do about that. Signals Antenuate full stop. Submarines still use shortwave because they travel through a dense medium ie water. To get the speed and clarity nessesary for wi fi ( **** i cant remember the spectrum) the technoledgy has had to go for higher frequencies, but they antenuate more easily.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

A great resource for wireless info and advice is

http://www.nocat.net

For 3ntropy and Jinxy this may help with your antenna issues, or be fun to play with.

http://trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm

It is how to turn an old Primestar dish into a bi-quad directional dish. 27-31 dB gain with very little sidelobe radiation. Some claim to have used this antenna (or rather a pair of them) to use 802.11b over 60 miles. Still directional though, 3ntropy, you could try a colloinear array like those used by taxi dispatch and tow trucks. Haven't seen one for 2.5 GHz range but shouldn't be too hard to design. If I find one I'll edit/post here or PM you if your interested.
    \"If you take a starving dog in off the street and make him prosperous he will not bite you, this is the principle difference between a dog and a man\" - Mark Twain

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by jinxy
    Submarines still use shortwave because they travel through a dense medium ie water.
    <off topic>

Balls!

Submairines use long wave because they are ground waves which means:

1) Half the wave is underground (or water) and half is above.
    2) Ground waves follow the contour of the ground (or water) and will travel round the curvature of the planet.

Shortwave does not readily travel trough ground or water and are also straight line, useless once you go over the horizon, with respect to your transmitter.

</off topic>

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Making a parabolic antenna

The3ntropy, here is a site that explains the making of a parabolic from an old primestar satelite dish. Still not unidirectional though. http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/P...Primestar.html
    Also has some good information: http://www.hdcom.com/bundles.html
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown